The Justice Department has been trying to get information on the 1.3 million visitors to the extreme leftist website that encouraged rebellion during the weekend of President Donald Trump’s inauguration.
In a victory against those who have been hiding behind the First Amendment to carry out acts of violence and sedition that have the objective of overthrowing the legitimately elected government, a federal judge has ordered web hosting company DreamHost to produce the requested data.
The group that the DOJ is seeking information on is called #DisruptJ20 and was the tip of the spear for efforts that never came completely together to stage a domestic version of the color revolutions that typically have taken place in Eastern Europe.
Soros-backed front groups and armies of activists played a key part in these types of overthrows of legitimate governments and some have suspected that the same playbook is being used here to remove Trump from power.
Thursday’s decision could be a sign that the Justice Department is looking for information on where the funding is coming on for the ongoing anti-Trump protests that continue to grow more angry and violent by the day while many in the media have become apologists for ANTIFA.
D.C. judge approves government warrant for data from anti-Trump website https://t.co/T6Vj1tYLOe
— Reuters (@Reuters) August 24, 2017
Reuters is reporting “D.C. judge approves government warrant for data from anti-Trump website”:
A District of Columbia Superior Court judge on Thursday approved a government warrant seeking data from an anti-Trump website related to Inauguration Day protests, but he added protections to safeguard “innocent users.”
Chief Judge Robert Morin said DreamHost, a Los Angeles-based web-hosting company, must turn over data about visitors to the website disruptj20.org, which is a home to political activists who organized protests at the time of Donald Trump’s inauguration as U.S. president in January.
Morin, who will oversee review of the data, said the government must explain what protocols it will use to make sure the data of “innocent users” is not seized by prosecutors.
The U.S. Justice Department said it sought the records connected to the site amid concerns that it helped facilitate the planning of protests on Inauguration Day in which more than 200 people were arrested for rioting and vandalizing businesses in downtown Washington.
DreamHost resisted the request, saying the scope of the warrant was too broad and trampled on the rights of 1.3 million visitors to the site, many of whom were simply exercising their First Amendment rights to express their political views.
The Justice Department last week proposed amending the scope of its warrant to exclude the IP addresses of website visitors and limit the search only to records from July 1, 2016 to Jan. 20, 2017.
But DreamHost argued that the warrant was still too broad, as it could sweep in people who sent emails to disruptj20 addresses. The company objected to the two-step process that would require it to turn over data in bulk and let prosecutors search for and seize evidence of criminal involvement in the riots.
Morin said at a hearing on Thursday that he recognized the tension between free speech rights and law enforcement’s need to search digital records for evidence. He said he added safeguards to his order granting the government’s request for information in an effort to balance those two concerns.
Disrupt the Inauguration. The Majority have spoken – by nearly 2.7 million votes &counting! Silence is not an option https://t.co/HSmP3pREvy
— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) December 7, 2016
It’s hard to see how the fat man can be described as an “innocent” user under even the most loosely defined interpretation of the term. Could it be that he and others may finally face some government scrutiny over their roles in the so-called Resistance?
Were I in charge of this investigation, I would go directly to Moore and lean on him for information. Perhaps even promise him leniency if he squeals like the proverbial pig in hot oil which he would probably do very quickly to save his own ass.
As this humble author recently wrote right here at CDN:
The request for the information has been fought by the organization’s web hosting company and is being decried by the left who have suddenly discovered that they don’t really like the type of mass surveillance and police state powers of the government now that Barack Obama is no longer in office.
As long as it was Obama, the vast majority of the left, Democrats and the media defended Barry’s transformation of the NSA into his own personal Stasi, this was exposed by former government contractor turned whistleblower Edward Snowden in 2013.
They can squeal until their throats are raw but there were plenty of opportunities to reign in the surveillance machine during Obama’s eight-year reign of terror and the left had less than zero interest in doing a damned thing about it.
Now they are about to be hoisted upon their own petards.
I also expressed my conflicted feelings on this as I have always been of the belief that the ability of the government to go after internet users is the beginning of what can become a very slippery slope and the libertarian in me believes that this is a very dangerous idea.
That being said, I see what is going on in the streets with the organized mobs that are becoming more violent and angry by the minute and have progressed from blocking roadways and engaging in harassment to tearing down Confederate statues, in one case even attempting to blow up a statue in a Houston park, an act that can only be defined as domestic terrorism.
Considering that it is imperative to cut out this dangerous leftist cancer from the body of the Republic, I would have to say that I’m siding with the Feds on this one.
It’s hard to be sympathetic to these leftist swine, especially after Barack Obama weaponized federal agencies like the I.R.S. to go after his political enemies, I would say that what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.