Gov. Andrew Cuomo partially reversed a March executive order Sunday that prevented nursing homes from denying admission of patients who tested positive for the new coronavirus.
Patients must now test negative for the virus before hospitals can admit them to assisted living facilities, Cuomo said during an Albany press briefing Sunday. The readmission policy adopted March 25 states: “No resident shall be denied readmission or admission to the [nursing home] solely based on a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19.”
“We’re just not going to send a person who is positive to a nursing home after a hospital visit,” said Cuomo during the briefing before admitting that the virus targets seniors in particular. “This virus uses nursing homes … They are ground zero.”
The policy was designed to prevent discrimination, though nursing homes can refer COVID-positive patients elsewhere if they couldn’t care for them, Cuomo said.
Just 12% of New York’s roughly 26,000 coronavirus deaths have occurred in nursing homes, Cuomo said. “Whatever we’re doing has worked, on the facts,” he added.
New York state revealed in April that at least 3,316 people in nursing homes died of coronavirus at their residences or in hospitals across the state. The virus was first confirmed in Wuhan, China, before spreading across the world, landing in the United States where it has been a factor in more than 80,000 deaths so far.
“If you are positive, you should be admitted back to a nursing home,” New York Health Commissioner Howard Zucker said during one of Cuomo’s daily coronavirus briefings in April. “The necessary precautions will be taken to protect the other residents there.”
One New York Democrat disagreed with Zucker’s argument a the time.
Zucker’s assertion that “necessary precautions” were being taken was “clearly not the case,” Democratic Assemblyman Ron Kim said in April. “It’s either he’s lying or they have absolutely no idea what’s going on on the ground.”
“The staff, the families, everyone is telling me there’s completely a lack of support and they don’t have the necessary PPE [personal protective equipment] to be safe,” Kim added.
Cuomo is not the only New York politician who is feeling the heat.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio dismissed the impact of coronavirus in March nearly two weeks before blasting President Donald Trump for not mobilizing the military to confront the outbreak.
“Since I’m encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives + get out on the town despite Coronavirus,” de Blasio told his Twitter followers on March 3, no more than two weeks before likening the outbreak to a type of World War that required nationalizing industries.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]Wake up Right! Subscribe to our Morning Briefing and get the news delivered to your inbox before breakfast!