Secretary of Defense James Mattis will sign an order sending between 800 and 1,000 troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to halt the advance of the Migrant Mob making its way through Mexico, according to a U.S. government official.
The report comes just hours after President Donald Trump said that he would be sending the military to the border.
“Democrat inspired laws make it tough for us to stop people at the Border,” the president tweeted. “I am bringing out the military for this National Emergency.”
“They will be stopped!” he added.
Brandon Judd of the National Border Patrol Council is right when he says on @foxandfriends that the Democrat inspired laws make it tough for us to stop people at the Border. MUST BE CHANDED, but I am bringing out the military for this National Emergency. They will be stopped!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 25, 2018
The president previously activated National Guard units in April when a flood of migrants then tried to cross the border. Military units help with surveillance, detection and patrols, but do not arrest illegal aliens. The added manpower allows the law enforcement agents in the U.S. Border Patrol to perform those activities.
Military officials have confirmed that the troops will be active duty military members. With the 2,100 National Guard troops already assisting Homeland Security on the southern border, the total U.S. military force on the border will likely rise above 3,000.