Sen. Tom Coburn: Charlatan or Traitor?

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Sen. Tom Coburn: Charlatan or Traitor?”.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Derrell Poole says:

I thought after my last that I would share the latest email I sent to Senator Tester who claims to be a supporter of the 2nd Amendment. Senator Tester says he is going to support the gun bill because it is a “step on the right direction” – that is doesn’t infringe upon any of our 2nd Amendment Rights. Well. The Constitution and Bill of Rights is a whole document. Senator Tester did not address other ramifications of this bill. I’m sharing this letter with you because sometimes it seems like we are each in our own little void. I often feel like the Lone Ranger so when I see and hear what others are doing I feel quite encouraged. Thought maybe some of you might be in the same boat.

Please excuse my passion. I’m MAD!

Dear Senator Tester,

You need to listen to what we are Telling you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT VOTE FOR THIS GUN Bill! You, Toomey, Manchin, Schumer – all of you! You think this is a step in the right direction? What IS the NEXT step, Senator?!

WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP?! CONFINSCATION?!

What is it?!

How are you going to protect my 4th Amendment Rights? Huh? Maybe this bill infringes on my 2nd Amendment Rights and maybe it doesn’t. But it certainly infringes on my 4th Amendment Rights! If Guns are legal, then there is no “probable cause” when I buy one or when I sell one. It is none of the governments business what I buy if what I buy is not illegal! And if there is no probable cause then the Government has NO BUSINHESS in my private matters. READ the 4th Amendment, Senator!

Answer me. Don’t send me a STINK-KING form letter! Answer the question; If I buy a gun that is legal then on what grounds does the government have to infringe upon my 4th Amendment Rights?

Answer the question MAN TO MAN!

This bill is NOT a step in the right direction! This is a step in the Collective Rights direction!

Common sense? If the bill isn’t going to stop determined killers then it is nothing more than a placebo that makes YOU feel like you’ve “dunnnnn something”! That isn’t common sense! That is selfish.

Well chew on this: Since your law isn’t going to stop determined killers I don’t think it will make me registering ANY guns – since it isn’t your GOD DAMNED business in the first place!

Derrell Poole

• Bob Russell says:

Sadly, very few in government care what We the People think. We live in a dictatorial oligarchy, not a republic.

• Micah says:

“Dictatorial oligarchy?” How do you figure? If anything, we live in too much of a democracy – rather than voting in accordance with the Constitution, most elected officals seem to do whatever they think most of their constituants want – whatever will get them reelected. In a republic, citizens elect someone whose judgement they trust; the elected person uses that judgment to enact law. Elected officials are not supposed to bow to public whim (though such behavior is common these days). We should applaud Coburn for following his conscience instead of knuckling under when people complain.

• Bob Russell says:

Micah, our nation isn’t a democracy, it is a representative republic. I agree with you until the last sentence. Yes, the voice of the people need to be heeded, especially when the voice of the people demands an adherence to the Constitution. Coburn is going AGAINST the Constitution in his double-talking duplicitous behavior. You want them to vote FOR the Constitution and so do I. The thing that is important is to know and understand the Constitution so you understand when they are and when they aren’t voting it.

• Micah says:

I agree that we live in a representative republic. My point (poorly expressed) was that it has become a de facto democracy in recent years. What I DON’T understand is how Coburn is being unconstitutional. Everybody agrees that there should be SOME limits to the 2nd Amendment. Coburn has said (and his voting record makes me believe him) that he wants to “improve a broken system that literally allows illegal aliens, drug traffickers, child molesters, rapists, felons, members of al Qaeda cells and mentally-deranged persons to buy firearms.” I don’t think that such restrictions are necessarily unconstitutional. The implimentation of such restrictions can be, but I don’t think the restrictions themselves are. And (for what it’s worth) the Supreme Court has agreed with me. I guess the short version is that, based on his record, I think Coburn deserves the benefit of a doubt.

• Bob Russell says:

Micah, I don’t agree with the premise that the 2nd Amendment needs to be limited. If you understood the universal registration issue and how it fits into world history you would understand. You are falling for the soft soap they give in the name of “safety”. Nothing they are doing will make you one bit safer. It will actually increase the chance of you being killed by a criminal or your own government.

• Micah says:

Bob, in regards to your comment below (2:20pm):
            Oh, I’m sure you also agree that there need to be limits to the 2nd Amendment. I mean, you don’t think prisoners should have guns, or toddlers, or the insane – those are limits!
            As to universal registration – of course I’m against it (and I know the history)! But that doesn’t seem to be what Coburn is talking about. His proposal would make the NICS available to private gun sellers online, not to create a database of gun owners.
            Anyway, as long as Coburn’s proposal doesn’t restrict my ability (as a law-abiding citizen) to buy or own a gun – and I don’t see how it would – I can’t understand how it makes it more likely that I’ll be “killed by a criminal or [my] own government.”

2. Derrell Poole says:

Bob, I think this is a universal experience. I wrote and wrote and wrote my senators and my representative. Well before their vote against the Filibuster. Both claim to be Constitutionalist. There excuses were that they felt the bill should be brought forward. Sometimes I think the idiots could not put an average I.Q. together between them. So when their Constituents found out their vote – which was almost immediate (see my reply to Shilah about seeing how your congressmen vote – if a reader wonders) – the uproar had to have seriously rattled their little cages. Senator Baucus has come out – he says – against the bill.

The other night Toomey said to Face the Nation the bill makes sense. Then Senator Manchin said if you are a law abiding gun owner you are going to like this bill. Then one of them said they know it won’t really stop someone determined to kill but that they needed to do something. Oh yeah! It’s all common sense! I don’t think they could put together an average I.Q. either.

This isn’t common sense! And I don’t like it!!!

The ICE is suing the DHS because they have ordered their units to NOT obey the laws of Congress. The head of the DHS says it is 100,000,000 million rounds (according to my Rep. who sits on the House committee on the DHS) – not one billion – like it matters – and they bought just 17 of the special armored vehicles. Oh, The DHS is a good thing. Oh… My mistake! And yet there is this;

Have any of you heard of a Sovereign Citizen? This is what the DHS is busy doing while they don’t protect our borders and while they don’t provide any security – We’re sorry runners in Boston. Thank your government, which has conned you out of freedom in the name of security.

The SDH, the ATF, FEMA, even the FBI are all illegal National Police Forces. They have supplanted the Citizen Militia. We are in the first phase of Recurrence – as provided by the First Amendment – the battle of words and ideas. So what do you think the 2nd Amendment provides. If we stand up and speak out and tell these naughty boys and girls we
    ARE watching. Maybe we won’t have to implement the provisions of the Second Amendment.

Please read the above linked article!

P.S. Oboma owes us for the irresponsible transportation and hosting of the Sandy Hookers! PAY IT Back OBIE!!!

3. Paul T. Leslie says:

I had the same experience with my senators (Ga.) who gave me the same song and dance, but changed their tune when they defected from their oath to stand with Manchin and Toomey.

• Victoryman says:

Manchin, Toomey AND Schumer. When Manchin and Toomey went before the microphones to announce their “Conversion,” they stated that (Their partner) Schumer not be anywhere near nor make a statement. Now that everything is out in the public domain, the bill is now referred to as Schumer/Manchin/Toomey. The new Three Stooges – the Shemp, Moe and Curly of gun (People) control. Compare to Kerry/Hagel/Brennan. Toomey, the great “Conservative hope,” Has shown himself to be nothing but a cheap politi-pimp. Note that the Bloomberg ads running in Pennsylvania bashing Toomey stopped immediately upon Toomey turning Quisling. Bloomberg then started running “Positive” ads for Toomey in Pa. For shame, Mr. Toomey, for shame!

4. L.E. Liesner says:

The sad truth in this country is that about 99% of our Congressmen and Senators swore an oath of office “to support and protect the Constitution of the United States” knowing that they would not honor that oath. A man’s word is his bond and if his word is no good, either is the man. Our Constitution was written in a clear precise easy to understand language and there is no excuse for not knowing it. Power and politics has replace honor, duty, and country. What we have today is a country in distress run by a dysfunctional government and an apathetic electorate with no relief in sight.

5. Shilah bat Eliyahu says:

I dunno – I can see how your first reaction would be worry– but i think Mr. Coburn is not a traitor or a charlatan – not on the basis of this letter. Now – if i could examine his voting record, & see his reasons for voting as he has, I might agree with you. But as it stands I think he is on “our” side (2nd-amendment) rather than ‘theirs’… I do agree the letter is vague & so i hope you will ask him – as he has invited you to do – specifically about the hot-button areas, such as mental health. “WHO gets to decide if someone is mentally ill?” is an excellent question & one that MUST be answered. And, “What if someone recovers from a mental illness? what recourse to they have to get their 2-A rights restored?” is another that needs to be asked.. BEFORE, not after, any legislation is passed…..EVen IF your fears are correct and he is (at best) trying to fool people, I think he is more with us than with the “progressives” (socialists) so crucifying him is likely to get you someone Worse, not better, into office. Good Guys are rare in office these days; Semi-Good Guys are also becoming rare – so let’s work with what we have, solidify the Semi-Good Guys, defend the Good Guys and thwart the Really Bad Guys who want to get into office.

• Chip Murray says:

WAKE UP! We are a pathetic 300 Million Man Dog being wagged by a 535 man Tail…otherwise known as an Oligarchy!

• Derrell Poole says:

Shilah,

you can see what your Congressmen do – how they vote – and I encourage you to do so. This is one example;

And there are others. Do a search using something like Congressional Vote Record. I’ve see records going back to the 1870s.

I truly believe that we are where we are at primarily because we have not paid attention. These politicians are like naughty little boys and girls who left to their own devices will think what every they are doing must be okay!

My Senators both say the same things. But they are learning we are not going to be brushed aside. After their vote against the Paul Filibuster – OMG! did they get it from their Constituants! Facebook was a very nasty wakeup call! Now if they vote for the bill….

Derrell

6. Misttina says:

Will you run for office Mr Russell? You have my vote!

• Rodney says:

Funny, I wrote and called both my Senators (Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker) and got very simular responses as you did. Claimed to be pro second amendment but voted otherwise. They all need to be kicked out!

• Bob Russell says:

Thanks, but no. I am content to be a voice of the people. I look better in print that in person. LOL