Exploring Possible 2012 Presidential Candidates: Gary Johnson

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Exploring Possible 2012 Presidential Candidates: Gary Johnson”.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Will Hayes says:

He is Ron Paul…who has climbed Mt. Everest, never been to Washington, and has a life time of executive experience. Can we stop floating “inexperienced” “unqualified” lables? We currently have a president with zero experience. Gary plans to cut the size of the federal budget immediately by 43%. Imagine if he works out a compromise for even 21%. It will change everything. I am volunteering today.

• Daniel (twitter: @Mirac777) says:

Hi Will, Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at CDN.

Personally, I want someone who is not a DC insider. Just like in the Mafia, the biggest, smartest and most ruthless crook is the boss. He nows how to cheat the system, and in politics for the most part, the biggest corrupto-crats are the ones who have been there the longest and know how to play the game.

Approaching 15 trillion in debt tells me one thing: It is time to change the damn game! New faces and new blood. First and foremost we need a fiscal hawk in the Whitehouse, and one who isn’t afraid to get in the trenches and fight against both parties. Johnson certainly fits that bill. He signed all those vetoes against more spending and more bloated government programs, and New mexico still exists today and is better off for it.

I am sure they threatened him with the “government shutdown” B/S that the idiot-Dems in DC are doing today too, yet he never caved and they never shut down.Thats all a lousy lie of a bluff up in D./C.

2. New Mexican says:

Gary Johnson is naive, underexperienced – all he did is veto, not immerse in issues – and worst of all he a loner and a total narcissist. Sound familiar? Be scared of Scary Gary.

• Daniel (twitter: @Mirac777) says:

Hmmm 8 years of battle in an idebted state, where he left them with a surplus while fighting big-spending entrenched politicians… and he is supposed to be naive? Bashing someone without any FACTS certainly sounds familar.

FYI I am not in favor of him one way or the other. I am a reg Independent voter. Gary has very strong budget skills and has a proven tranck record of getting it done no matter WHICH party has the majority.

I do thank you for joining the conservation, but i wish you would add soemthing of substance, whish is the whole point of looking at all the candidates here at CDN.

3. Ben says:

Hi Daniel:

No, I’m not a NM resident. I saw Gary Johnson speak at a tea party event in Boston and I’ve been a following him closely ever since. I’m convinced he’s the best candidate the GOP has to address our country’s looming fiscal nightmare. With most of the other candidates, I have little or no faith they will govern any differently than Bush did (ie, little better than Obama on spending).

If there’s an open Senate seat in NM, Johnson would be the frontrunner. I have no idea if he’d even consider this. But if his Presidential campaign goes nowhere, we need him in the Senate. The incumbent Senator is supposed to announce next month whether he’s retiring or not.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Johnson come in third in the CPAC straw poll. Given that he’s virtually unknown and barely scored a speaking slot just days before the event, it’s a very good sign for his prospects.

Thanks for the heads up on the CDN poll!

4. Ben says:

Excellent write-up. As a Johnson fan, I was pleasantly surprised by Johnson’s third place showing at CPAC, given the fact that he barely managed to score a speaking slot only a couple days before the event. I also doubt many Ron Paul folks abandoned their fearless leader for Johnson — Gov. Johnson earned his third place finish. This should at least get him a spot in the debates.

I think Dem. insiders fear Johnson for a couple of reasons:

1) Without a Dem. Primary, Johnson could attract support from natural Democrat constituencies who have reason to oppose Obama — civil libertarians and voters who want to bring home the troops from Afghanistan.

2) Johnson would have major appeal to swing voters. Unlike many tea party/constitutionalist conservatives, Johnson approaches the issues with a practical cost-benefit analysis. It’s an approach that appeals to swing voters (although it doesn’t always stir the passions of conservatives).

A recent poll demonstrated this:
    In his home state of New Mexico, Johnson has better favorability numbers than any other Republican, local or national. Why? Because of his significant appeal with Dems and independents. He has a favorable/unfavorable among 2008 Obama voters of 42/39%. Impressive numbers for one of our most fiscally conservative Governors in recent memory. Johnson also has a 52% favorability among Hispanics — he favors work visas (“work, not welfare”) and never fails to speak highly of immigrants.

Here’s the poll:

• Daniel (twitter: @Mirac777) says:

Hi Ben, and thank you for taking the time to weigh in on Gary Johnson.
      I have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind. I live in Florida and am not really too familar with New Mexico politics. Is Johnson somehow contemplating a 2012 Senate run also, or would that possibly be his back-up plan if he fails to get the presidential nomination?
      Are you a libertarian from N M ? On the link you posted to Public policy here, I see someone calling Johnson Anti-War and Anti-Fed. That seems to me to be the baseless bashing of a candidate, as that statement could mean lots of different things. They also use that statement to say Republicans won’t vote for him because of it. I don’t agree with that at all. With over 14 trillion in National Debt, I personally think the whole darn country better be Anti-Fed, if thats what anti-fed stands for. Won’t be any country left if we don’t take a stand on stopping feeding the Fed and making it bigger.
      Have you voted in our new straw poll here yet? I see Gary is doing Ok so far.

With the dangers we face today of total financial collapse, and States teetering on the brink of bankruptcy I want a fiscal hawk. If he supports gays and pot,or once did, I say big frigging deal. Herman Cain summed it up at CPAC when he said people, you need to grow up and realize that the perfect candidate does not exist. If you are waiting for one, we will lose to Obama in 2012 because they aren’t out there. I didn’t know about him (Gary) favoring work visa’s, as in work not welfare. That plan is needed across our nation and not just concerning immigrants. The biggest plus I see about Gary is the fact that he isn’t a lawyer/lobbyist like Haley Barbour. He worked his way up and built a company from scratch.You simply can’t do that successfully without good fiscal responsibility and budgeting skills and determination.

When Republicans (I am a reg. Independent)say they want a new face, and new blood, I say we need a DC outsider to come in and install some fiscal sanity, period. Gary loves to wield the veto pen against big spending politicians and their cronies. So far noone comes close to having the proven determination and mettle to cut government down to a manageable size, from the other Republican candidates that I see so far.

I wasn’t a Johnson fan when I wrote this article. I tried to make it as unbiased as I could, simply to inform voters about him. The more I do learn about him, the better he stacks up against any of the old guard GOP so far. Gary’s approaching all issues from a practical cost-benefit analysis is the most important qualification we need today, simply because everything the government does costs the taxpayer money. Getting those costs down is job 1 in 2012, and we all know Obama sure isn’t going to do that. Just look at the farce of his “proposed budget” today.