It has been a slog for the former minority leader of the House, but Kevin McCarthy will soon be referred to as Speaker McCarthy after a week of negotiations and votes – so, just what did he concede to get those 20 votes that had eluded him?
What we do know is that former President Trump made calls to get some of “the rebels” to vote for McCarthy.
The win cements Trump as a King Maker if he wants to help promote certain candidates in 2024, but it does him no favors as an anti-Establishment candidate.
The question most Americans ask after this week-long mess is, “what now?”
The House will be in-session all next week doing the business of those so enriched. It is the way of things. Taxpayers pay and members of Congress collect. It is what they do.
What did “we the people” get out of this exchange? We won’t know for sure until some major bills hit the floor and McCarthy is forced to negotiate with us evil Conservatives.
What Did McCarthy Give Up?
- Any rep able to call a motion to “vacate the chair” moving more power out of the speakership and into the hands of representatives
- A floor vote on border security
- A floor vote on a balanced budget amendment
- A floor vote on Congressional term limits
- More freedom caucus members on House Rules and other important committees
- Cap discretionary spending at 2022 levels
- Reps will have 72 hours to review bills before they come to the floor for a vote
- A committee to investigate the weaponization of the federal government
Beyond this list, we will have to wait and see (you will have to see what’s in it …) before we know what this cost or what it got us.
Agree/Disagree with the author(s)? Let them know in the comments below and be heard by 10’s of thousands of CDN readers each day!
Content created by Conservative Daily News and some content syndicated through CDN is available for re-publication without charge under the Creative Commons license. Visit our syndication page for details and requirements.