The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety shares that over 10% of car crashes are hit-and-run accidents. Have you witnessed this? If yes, you might get confused about how to proceed with the things and get the desired compensation for all the injuries. It is also essential to know the way to file a personal injury claim with an attorney. You also need to know the one accountable for your injuries.
You need to treat any hit-and-run crash similar to any regular car accident. Even though you might not have come to recognize the at-fault party, you will have to prove your innocence and get the required compensation. You can get in touch with an expert attorney that will maximize your scopes of getting compensation for medical expenses and property damages. For more, a Flagler Personal Injury Group can help with a hit and run case
Here are a few things that you can do.
- Try to recognize the other driver
It’s practically impossible for the police to catch the hit-and-run drivers. You can help the police by writing down the data instantly after the crash. It will be helpful if you:
- Write down all the details you noticed about another vehicle, like the color, model, make, and even the partial license plate number.
- You can make a call to the police and wait at the accident scene.
- Ask the pedestrians and other drivers if they witnessed the crash or came across anything that can help you identify the driver.
- Try and check with the local shops for additional witnesses and security cameras.
- Take relevant images of the damages done to your vehicle.
- Get medical treatment for the injuries.
You need to visit a hospital to get treated for your injuries, even if it is not a major one. It is essential for your health. Also, when you opt-in for medical treatment, it can help you with the personal injury claim.
- Know the way to recover damages
In any regular car crash accident, it’s the at-fault party’s insurance that is accountable for paying for the damages done to you and your vehicle. However, until you recognize the hit-and-run driver, you need to use your insurance to manage the compensation.
What compensation can you recover from any hit-and-run crash accident?
Being a victim of this accident, you can get compensation for your property damage, medical costs, and any suffering and pain that you witnessed.
- Economic – The economic damages cover the expense of any future or current costs that occurred from the hit-and-run crash accident. It can comprise physical therapy costs, medical bills, lost wages, and car repair bills.
- Non-economic – The non-economic damages attempt to cover all the intangible expenses of the accident, like the suffering and the pain. Placing a cost on the suffering and pain that someone experiences are a challenging process. It usually needs the assistance and guidance of a successful attorney who can estimate the same accurately.
Hence, you must get in touch with a personal injury attorney after the accident to manage things legally and get the deserved compensation.