Editor’s Note: We will continue to follow this story until State offers a believable explanation. Also, 7:49 p.m. on Monday came and went without anything of note occurring. As of 1:50 PM Wednesday, both bio pages are still gone.
It’s difficult to comprehend why President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence’s biographies on the U.S. Department of State’s website showed a claim that their terms would end Monday night, but they did.
President Trump’s bio is empty and shows his term ending at 7:49 p.m. on January 11, 2021:
And it appears that Vice President Mike Pence’s term also ended Monday night, albeit five minutes earlier:
Shortly after we published this article, we refreshed the president’s page to see if there was an update. Nope, but things aren’t going well:
Then, at about 5:45 p.m. EST, the State Department website began redirecting both Trump and Pence’s biography pages to the home page. In other words, the president and vice president’s bios are gone.
So if you’re wondering who would be president until January 20 since Pence is supposedly out, it’s Speaker Nancy Pelosi according to the Presidential Line of Succession.
Honestly, a hack or disgruntled employee are the most likely reasons for the erasure of both Trump and Pence’s biographies and the oddly chosen timestamp for the end of their terms, but without a State Department statement, it’s hard to say. And, State isn’t commenting just yet.
Discovery of the modified bios came just after confusion over a supposed Trump appearance set for Monday afternoon. First, Fox News said he would “speak” at 1:30 p.m. EST, then changed the time to 3:15 p.m. and inserted a stream of President-elect Biden getting his second vaccination instead. Then, the event just disappeared from existence – no explanation was given.
The following questions have been sent to the State Department for comment and we will update this article and/or write a new one to update this story:
- Does the State Department usually maintain biography pages for the president and vice president?
- Were the biography pages originally posted by the State Department and subsequently vandalized?
- If the State Department did not post the end of term messages, does the department know how they got there?
- Why were the Trump and Pence bios completely removed from the State.gov website? (both URLs now redirect to the homepage)
5. Is State planning to restore the biographies? If so, when? If not, why not?
6. I could not locate biography pages for any other presidents/vice presidents. Were they removed or did they never exist?
Content created by Conservative Daily News and some content syndicated through CDN is available for re-publication without charge under the Creative Commons license. Visit our syndication page for details and requirements.