First responders were called to a Kansas City, Missouri IRS building when 8-10 people complained of chest pains, nausea, and vomiting after handling an 8×12″ envelope that had arrived in the mail room.
The package was immediately isolated and responders established a triage center, the fire department told reporters.
Several people were treated and released at local hospitals. Two remain in good condition at St. Luke’s.
A fire department hazardous material team was unable to detect fumes or dangerous materials in or on the package and turned it over to the U.S. Treasury Inspector for investigation.
The building has not been evacuated, but police have blocked off surrounding streets.
*this is a developing story and will be updated as events warrant*Wake up Right! Subscribe to our Morning Briefing and get the news delivered to your inbox before breakfast!