President Donald Trump will start his official schedule with his presidential daily briefing before heading on a trip to the Newport News shipyard in Virginia for a tour, briefing, and speech aboard the first of a new line of supercarriers named for former president Gerald Ford.
The Gerald R. Ford (CVN78) is currently a pre-commissioned unit (PCU) and is the first ship in the Gerald R. Ford class.
The ship was originally scheduled to be commissioned in March of 2016, but technical issues have delayed CVN78’s entry into the fleet until sometime in 2017
The new aircraft carrier is fit with a first class radar suite and is the first carrier to feature the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System which replaces steam catapults reducing the space required below deck to store and manage steam. The new catapults also allow the carrier to launch 25% more aircraft in the same amount of time.
President Trump’s Schedule for Thursday, 3-2-17
- 10:30 AM Receive the daily intelligence briefing – Oval Office
- 11:40 AM Departs the White House en route to Joint Base Andrews – South Lawn
- 12:40 PM Arrives at Langley Air Force Base
- 1:05 PM Participate in a PCU (Pre-Commissioning Unit) Gerald R. Ford CVN 78 operations briefing – PCU Gerald R. Ford
- 1:25 PM Participate in a PCU Gerald R. Ford CVN 78 leadership meeting – PCU Gerald R. Ford
- 1:50 PM Tour the PCU Gerald R. Ford
- 2:30 PM Deliver remarks at the PCU Gerald R. Ford [Live Stream]
- 3:55 PM Depart Langley Air Force Base en route to Joint Base Andrews
- 4:50 PM Arrive at the White House – South Lawn
Video and Images from the PCU Gerald R. Ford (CVN78)