CBD and Sleep: Does CBD Work as a Sleep Aid?
Cannabidiol, also popularly referred to as CBD, has grown widely popular for a number of uses. The compound is derived from the cannabis plant and has been shown to help people who have certain conditions. One of those is sleep problems such as insomnia. If you have trouble sleeping, you may want to explore CBD as a sleep aid.
About CBD and Sleep
CBD comes from the main parts of the cannabis plant. However, they don’t include any THC, so it cannot get you high. Instead, the compound works with your endocannabinoid system, allowing you to benefit from good balance.
CBD has been shown to benefit certain aspects of your health, including your sleep. Of course, poor sleep can be attributed to a variety of factors, some of which are external. However, some of those factors include mental health disorders or physical conditions. Whatever the case, if you suffer from insomnia or poor sleep, in general, CBD for sleep might just be right for you.
Does CBD Work as a Sleep Aid?
According to a research study whose findings were published in 2019, researchers explored whether taking CBD could help with sleep. They also wanted to see whether it could reduce the symptoms of anxiety in 72 individuals who suffered from one condition or both. Each person was given CBD capsules daily. Within the first month of the study, it was determined that 66.7 percent of the people experienced an improvement in their sleep. CBD capsules are a great option for anyone looking to use CBD in order to enhance their sleep. This is because CBD capsules release CBD slowly over a longer period of time than oils or vapes. If you are looking for THC-free, vegan-friendly CBD capsules to buy then click here.
Pain is another problem that can lead to poor sleep. CBD has been shown to improve pain levels, which, in turn, can help people sleep better. Additional research performed in 2014 examined people with Parkinson’s disease and saw that when given CBD, those people had better REM sleep.
CBD Products for Insomnia
There are many CBD products you can use to treat insomnia. Some of the most popular include the following:
- Soft gels: These are capsules that are easy to swallow. You should take one or two before bedtime.
- Gummies: CBD tummies are usually fruit-flavored and should be taken 15 or 20 minutes before bed.
- Capsules: Capsules are among the most popular CBD products. Some contain other ingredients like chamomile and melatonin. One or two should be taken 20 to 30 minutes before bedtime.
- Tinctures: Tinctures are administered through a dropper under the tongue. You can also add a few drops to a glass of water. Take this CBD product an hour before bed.
In general, CBD is tolerated well by most people. However, there may be side effects for some. Although mostly uncommon, it’s possible for the following mild side effects to appear:
- Appetite changes: You may notice a sudden change in your appetite after you start taking CBD.
- Diarrhea: You may experience some diarrhea, but this should pass.
- Fatigue: Fatigue is normal when taking CBD as it can calm you and make you feel rested.
- Weight changes: There shouldn’t be a dramatic change in your weight.
If you struggle with sleep problems, you can try one or more CBD products to see what works best for you.