Step By Step Guide For Converting Military Time
The 24 hour clock which is also known as military time is a way to tell time with 24 hours. Basically in military time the day lasts from midnight to midnight which generally means that the midnight hours begin at 00 and ends up to 23. This time contains 4 digits, in which the first two digits are for hours, and the last two digits are for seconds.
What is 1830 military time?
First of all you need to keep in mind that if a military time is greater to or equal to 13:00, then you need to subtract 12 hours from the given time. Just for your better knowing let us convert 1830 hours into the standard time. So below are the steps mentioned for converting 1830 military time. Follow them –
- Step 1 – first of all divide 1830 military time into hours and minutes. After the conversion it will become 18 hours and 30 minutes.
- Step 2 – then as we know that if the given time is greater than 1300 then we need to subtract the given time with 12. As 1830 is greater than 1300 so we need to subtract it with 12. So after subtracting 18 by 12 (18 – 12) we will get 6 hours.
- Step 3 – as minutes in the military time and standard time are same, so 30 minutes in military time still remains 30 minutes in standard time.
- Step 4 – after converting military time into standard time you need to add the colon (:), between the calculated hours and minutes. So after adding colon the standard time we will get is 6:30.
- Step 5 – one more thing to keep in mind while converting military time into standard time is that if the military time is greater than 1200 then we write PM after the time, and if the military time is less than 1200 then we write AM after the military time. In this case the military time is 1830; hence it is greater than 1200 so we will write PM after the time. So the time in this case will be 6:30 PM.
Hence after converting 1830 military time, 6:30 PM is the standard time.
Most of the countries in Europe have adopted military time clock in all kinds of formal written communication, but when it come to verbal or informal communication they still stick to traditional 12 hours clock. The military time system was first adopted by United States Navy. In fact everyone should adopt military time in their daily routine. There are many advantages of using military time, they are –
- You manage your time better – if we use military time there are 24 hours but when we use standard time it considers 12 hours in a day. When we use military time we have 24 hours in our hand so we can plan out our activities for a day for more time.
- Easy to calculate the duration – military time is easy when we calculate the duration of an event. For example, today you will go in an event which will start at 1230 and will end at 1730 according to the military time. So you can quickly make out that the event is for 5 hours. But when we use standard time it will give us information that event will start at 11:30 AM and will end at 4:30 PM. So it will be difficult for you to recognize.
- International travel – most of the countries in the world uses international time. So if you are used to military time then it will be easy for you to recognize what is the time.
- Simplicity – once you start using military time it’s very simple. In military time each time happens only once in a day. One more benefit of using military time is that when its nine o’clock its nine o’clock. You have no need to specify whether it’s PM or AM. This removes the ambiguity which is their in standard time due to 12 hour system.
As we have converted military time 1830 into standard time 6:30 PM, we can also convert standard time 6:30 PM into military time. Follow the steps given below for conversion of standard time into military time –
- First thing you need to keep in mind is that in standard time you add 12 to PM hours.
- So here the standard time is 6:30 PM, which means we need to add 12 hours to the given time.
- So when we add 6 with 12 (6 + 12) we will get 18 hours.
- As minutes are always same in military time and standard time, so we don’t have to make any changes in minutes.
- You just need to remove colon and PM from the standard time. And the military time we will get after conversion is 1830.
Hence the conversion of military time is not so complicated. Just you need to keep in mind some important thing, they are –
- If the value of the given military time is greater than 1200 then it will be PM in the standard time.
- If the value of the given military time is less than 1200 then it will be AM in the standard time.
- 2400 in military time is an exceptional case because in standard time it is considered as 12:00 AM.
Adopting military time and eliminating standard time from your daily routine is very quick, easy, and simple process. You just need to change all your digital clocks from standard time to military time. It will take you few time or weeks to get comfortable with the new system but once you will get comfortable with it you will feel that military time is easy than standard time. Switching from 12 hours a day to 24 hours a day will give you more time in a day and you can complete all your work with ease.