If you like to be of service to others, you can enter the world of politics. Getting a career in politics entails in-depth learning and experience because politics can be stressful. You need to be a skilled communicator,
Here are some helpful tips to get a career and become successful in the world of politics:
Tip #1: Study Hard and Earn a Degree
You can always run for office even if you’re not a college graduate. But it’s better to earn a degree or graduate in college to demonstrate that you have studied history, government, and current events. Choose a trusted and reputable school, like George Washington University, that offers a variety of subjects you need to be successful in politics.
Here are some tips when studying to earn a degree related to politics:
- Many people think that studying political science and history should be the course of choice if you want to get a career in politics. However, there are no particular degrees to get you a sure place in politics.
- The most popular choices are Education, Law, and Business courses.
- It’s to your advantage of continuing your education or taking CEP classes. You have an edge if you have advanced degrees in public administration, law, or business.
Tip #2: Practice Public Speaking
Practicing your public speaking and networking is a must if you want to get a career in politics. Always improve your communication skills. You can enhance your public speaking ability by giving speeches, joining civic organizations, and learning how to introduce yourself to all types of people from different walks of life.
Tip #3: Get Hands-on Training or Internship
If you want to get the maximum exposure for your future political career, you have to start from the bottom. This step is the only way to know the ins and outs of how the government works, from the local or municipal level upwards the political hierarchy.
It’s a smart move to become a volunteer during campaigns. You can volunteer for a local or national candidate in your area during the election. In that way, you’ll get a full view of how election campaigns are managed.
Here are the benefits of getting an internship or on-the-job training:
- Political internships will give you the exposure and experience you need so you can choose the political career that is best for you.
- You can work for a nonprofit group or a political action committee to help you understand public policy issues. Also, you can be an intern for a government agency or an elected official.
- Make and establish connections with the people inside the political arena in the area or the location you want to serve in.
Tip #4: Find Political Work
After graduating, you can start hunting for a political job. It’s time to use what you have learned in college and graduate school to your greatest advantage. If you start early, you’ll have a higher chance of getting a good position and a successful career in politics.
Here are some tips to help you find a paid political work:
- Seek help from your bosses from when you were still undergoing your internship or on-the-job training.
- Apply for entry-level positions, such as a legislative aide, a field representative, or a campaign staffer.
- Find vacant jobs for lesser-known agencies and representatives to get more tasks and responsibilities.
- Spend a few years working for an elected official or candidate. After which, you can switch to the policy-making side. If you get more experience in both the electoral and policy-making bodies, you’ll become better and more effective in performing your job.
Tip #5: Be Active and Visible in the Community
By being visible and active in your community, you become more involved and closer to the people. Whether you’re planning to run for an office position or you want to perform other politics-related jobs, community involvement plays a crucial role in achieving your goals.
Here are some ways you can become active and visible in the community:
- Become a volunteer for schools
- Serve on local agency boards
- Attend church activities
- Join community groups and seminars
- Attend local events, such as fun runs, concerts, or charity events
If you want to serve the people and become part of politics while earning a good income, you have to prepare yourself for a full-time political job. Aside from the right education, training, and experience, you need to develop the right attitude towards socializing and serving the public for the common good. By knowing the different backgrounds of people, you’ll be able to carry out the tasks given to you with full confidence and pride.