Wine.com, the nation’s leading online wine retailer, today announced the eleventh annual Wine.com 100. Reflecting the top wines purchased on the website during the first 11 months of 2017, the Wine.com 100 is the industry’s only list based exclusively on consumer purchasing behavior. With 32,400 unique wines purchased at Wine.com in 2017, the Top 100 is an exclusive group representing the best-selling 0.3% of available labels. The list provides insight into consumers’ online wine-buying patterns, highlighting popular producers, regions and varietals. The complete 2017 Wine.com 100 list is available online at www.wine.com/100.
2017 Wine.com 100 highlights:
- For only the second time in 11 years, a white wine lands the #1 spot: This year, Kendall Jackson2015 Vintners Reserve Chardonnay beat out 3,000 other Chardonnays, highlighting a classic wine with great brand awareness.
- New Zealand popularity over-indexes. While California was the leading region again with 49 wines on the list, New Zealand over-performed with 8 wines, including Kim Crawford 2016 Sauvignon Blanc at #5 and last year’s winner, Brancott Sauvignon Blanc, at #18.
- Long Tail Gains Prominence. In the years since the Wine.com 100 was first introduced, its share of Wine.com’s business has decreased from 38% to 19%, as consumers have enjoyed discovering wine off the beaten path that they aren’t able to find in their local stores.
“One of the best parts of my job is to see the smile on the face of people who enjoy Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay. For the past 25 years, it has been my pleasure to craft this wine from some of the best coastal vineyards in California along with the finest French and American oak barrels,” said Randy Ullom, Winemaster for Kendall-Jackson. “Cheers to our K-J fans who helped us top the Wine.com Top 100 list. It is an honor.”
“Our wine expansion has given customers a massive assortment to choose from, representing nearly every growing region and varieties from mainstream to obscure,” said Michael Osborn, Founder and VP of Merchandising. “We also continue to enhance our Live Chat Sommelier Service, available 7 days/week, to help our customers navigate this huge selection and find something that suits their individual needs.”
A look back at the Wine.com 100 #1 wines:
2017: Kendall Jackson 2015 Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay (California)
2016: Brancott 2015 Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand)
2015: Meiomi 2013 Pinot Noir (California)
2014: Caymus 2012 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (California)
2013: Viña Eguia 2007 Reserva (Spain)
2012: Columbia Crest 2009 Two Vines Cabernet Sauvignon (Washington State)
2011: Tilia 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon (Argentina)
2010: d’Arenberg 2008 Stump Jump Shiraz (Australia)
2009: Cambria 2006 Julia’s Vineyard Pinot Noir (California)
2008: Veramonte 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva (Chile)
2007: Hogue 2003 Genesis Cabernet Sauvignon (Washington State)
The 10 most popular sellers on the Wine.com 100 this year:
1. Kendall Jackson 2015 Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay (California)
2. Columbia 2014 Crest Grand Estates Cabernet Sauvignon (Washington State)
3. Lucinda & Millie 2013 Organic Chardonnay (California)
4. Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label (France)
5. Los Vascos 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)
6. Kim Crawford 2016 Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand)
7. Decoy Sonoma 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon (California)
8. Caymus 2017 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (California)
9. Meiomi 2016 Pinot Noir (California)
10. La Marca Prosecco (Italy)