First – you’ve chosen a difficult and thankless hobby or career. Now that we have that out of the way, here are the keys to getting more readers to realize who you are:
- You must write about relevant topics. If you write several posts on some event from 5 years ago – no one will read it and the search engines will never find it.
- Entertain or educate – if the reader gets nothing from your article, it is little more than a rant. hint: no one likes being ranted at.. or something
- Don’t forget the Wh’s of journalism. Who, What, Why, When & Where – they ad to the story and help people understand what you’re writing about
- Teach, don’t preach – when you are being talked down to.. you tune out. When you are being shown something you didn’t know, but might be interested in – you get focused.
- Edit yourself.. then edit again. We all make mistakes, some pretty silly. Limit them as much as possible – your readers tick off mistakes and think less of your work with each one
- Check your sources: Sure, somebody posted a story on Facebook that says Sen. WhatsHisNuts said this or that. Verify. What if he never said it and you wrote it – credibility shot, dead, forever. You won’t get that back – ever.
- Credit your sources (or get sued). If you quote a paragraph from the NYTimes or WaPo or whatever.. quote only what’s necessary to make your point, link to the original story and SAY where you got it from (ask your editor how if you aren’t sure.)
- Do not just copy another article: if you simply copy content from another article – that’s stealing, plagiarism and possibly copyright infringement. Under fair use, you may use a portion of a publication or article for the purpose of commenting upon it. You can only use the portion necessary to make your point – and you must make a point.
- Write. Write a lot. Write tons of posts and ask editors to provide some insight. Conservative Daily News editors will review your posts on CDN and offer advice on how to make it more readable, entertaining and/or educational.
- Promote: Promoting your posts is how other people learn they exist. You could write them in a notebook and leave them on your desk, but only you will ever see them. Writing on your own can often feel like having just left them in a notebook. CDN has perfected post promotion and social media. Any post you publish on CDN automatically gets access to over 50,000 followers, likers, emailers and more! We also have a youtube channel for your Vloggers or aspiring on-screen commentators.
- Cost: Running your own site can cost 100’s of hours, hundreds of dollars and lots of frustration. CDN can help you launch your own blog, for much less once you’re ready. While you’re learning, your costs are exactly NOTHING.
- Write for CDN: CDN has been hosting, fostering and growing talent for years. Hook into our resources, learn from our experience and grow from our contacts. If you want to be a serious news or political blogger – CDN is the place to start!