A timeless tradition, summer barbecues are where family and friends join together for laughs, food and of course, drinks. More and more, the food choices at cookouts seem to be branching out to include vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free foods to throw on the grill. But the drink options don’t always feel inclusive to people who don’t want to consume alcohol or sugary sodas. There are so few options for mocktails and zero-proof drinks that pack a flavor punch without all the additional preservatives and sweeteners.
If you love herbal tonic drinks and would like to switch to a healthier, plant-based drink during hot summer days, Sunwink is the best choice. Try them and you will switch from other unhealthy drinks that are packed with additives and sugar.
Luckily, change is coming. From herbal tonic beverages to good old-fashioned soda water with fancy fixings, people are starting to ask for better options when it comes to non-alcoholic drinks. After all, what’s summer without a refreshing beverage by the pool?
So what makes a good cookout drink.
- Fun: drinks should be a good time! Just because you’re not imbibing doesn’t mean you can’t make a killer mocktail. Throw in some herbs, add a splash of juice, top it off with sparkling water and you’ve got yourself a zero-proof cocktail.
- Flavor: there are so many ways to add flavor to your drinks. From bitters to roots and herbs or even a dash of spice, you can dress up your favorite mixer to make something new and exciting.
- Hydration: sugar, caffeine and alcohol can be extremely dehydrating when you’re out all day in the sun. Opt for something that refreshes and replenishes so you don’t miss the midnight bonfire.
- Health: some drinks are infusing healthful benefits into their mixes so you can not only enjoy flavor but feel good about what’s going into your body.
Not sure where to start? Here are some great options for a perfect cookout drink:
Sunwink Herbal Tonic Drinks: These drinks have no sugar, low calories and no artificial ingredients. These herbal tonics come in a variety of flavors to suit every palate including Digestion Lemon, Hibiscus Mint Unwind and Detox Ginger. Not only are they tasty and effervescent but they have added nutrients and superfoods like Ashwagandha, Burdock Root and Ginger to give you the ultimate support in healthful benefits. A great addition to any mocktail, you can mix it up by adding in fresh fruit or herbs and topping it off with a few cubes of ice. Try one at your next cookout or backyard party!
Home Brewed Iced Tea: By slowly steeping tea bags in water, you can make your own ice tea. It can be served sweetened or unsweetened with a slice of lemon or lime. For flavor, slice up lemons and let them sit in the tea for a perfect citrus punch. If you do want to sweeten your iced tea try adding fresh fruit like strawberries or blueberries instead of sugar or artificial sweeteners. For a great mix of health and taste, try topping off your iced tea with a splash of Sunwink’s Lemon Rose Uplift and a sprig of thyme.
Smoothies: Fruit smoothies are another great option for non-alcoholic drinks at cookouts because they’re easy to make, taste delicious and are high in nutrients like fiber and vitamins A & C. To make smoothies healthier try using Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt and use frozen fruit rather than fresh fruit so you don’t have to add ice cubes which will water down your smoothie.
If you’re feeling creative, why not set up a mocktail bar at your next cookout? It’s a fun and engaging way for people to make themselves drinks without feeling pressure to add alcohol. You can choose from so many inspired ingredients to set it all up.
Here is a list of ingredients that would elevate your mocktail station to the next level:
- Fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- Watermelon cubes
- Sliced citrus
- Herbs (mint, thyme, rosemary)
- Sliced cucumbers
- Lots of ice
- Sunwink Herbal Tonic drinks as mixers
- Soda Water
- Fresh pressed fruit juices
- Aromatic Bitters
- Funky glasses!
With this setup, your guests will surely have a great time mixing their own mocktails and coming up with interesting combinations. Family-friendly and interactive, you can’t beat a homemade mocktail as the ultimate cookout drink. Your guests will be relieved when they open the cooler to find more than just regular cola; they’ll get to enjoy enticing and exciting zero-proof cocktails at your fully stocked drink station. For both those imbibing and those looking for something without alcohol, these mocktails are guaranteed to be a smash and keep your guests feeling good throughout the day.