NEWARK, N.J. – Officers from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) arrested 60 individuals throughout New Jersey during a 5-day public safety operation ending April 20.
The operation focused on individuals illegally present in the U.S. that had been convicted of serious criminal activity, to include sexual assault, child abuse, domestic violence, and Driving Under the Influence (DUI). Of those arrested, 80 percent were convicted criminals, more than 20 had been issued a final order of removal and failed to depart the United States, or had been previously removed from the United States and returned illegally. Several had prior felony convictions for serious or violent offenses, such as aggravated assault, child abuse, child sex crimes, and assault, or had past convictions for significant or multiple misdemeanors. U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Marshals Service assisted ICE during this operation.
- In Passaic, a 24-year-old Mexican national, who has convictions of aggravated assault with bodily injury and domestic violence assault;
- In Edgewater, a 32-year-old, Colombian national, who has convictions of domestic violence/aggravated assault, contempt – violate domestic violence restraining order, and possession of a controlled dangerous substance;
- In South Bound Brook, a 47-year-old previously removed Honduran national, who has convictions of felony forgery and hindering apprehension;
- In Rockaway, a 38-year-old Jamaican national, who has convictions of child abuse and domestic violence assault;
- In East Orange, a 51-year-old previously removed Guatemalan national, who has convictions of distribution of controlled substance and multiple domestic violence assaults;
- In Lodi, a 54-year-old Italian national, and registered sexual offender, who has convictions of sexual assault of a minor, aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, burglary and resisting arrest by force;
- In West Long Branch, a 32-year-old El Salvadorian national with a warrant of removal, who has convictions of evading law enforcement officer causing serious bodily injury and pending charges of possession of marijuana;
Criminal histories of those arrested during the operation are as follows: DUI, domestic violence assault & abuse, child abuse, distribution of CDs, sexual assault on a minor, harassment, burglary, possession of a weapon, aggravated assault, shoplifting, theft, forgery, larceny, eluding and illegal entry.
The arrestees include nationals from Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, Peru, and Ukraine.
ERO deportation officers made arrests throughout New Jersey, specifically in the counties of Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cumberland, Essex, Hudson, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Somerset and Union.Wake up Right! Subscribe to our Morning Briefing and get the news delivered to your inbox before breakfast!