Ronald Kessler, a former Secret Service Agent and presidential author, reportedly said Monday that he welcomed President Trump’s decision to remove Secret Service Director Randolph Alles.
‘Alles seemed more interested in making friends with agents than fixing the problems that plague the once-proud agency,” said Kessler, author of “The Trump White House,” as told to the Daily Mail by sources familiar with the matter.
Trump announced Alles resignation Monday, according to a statement issued by Sarah Sanders and widely reported by media outlets. The move was also welcomed by members at large of the protection service, according to sources, “The sentiment at the agency is ‘good riddance.’”
Alles’ ousting came after an embarrassing protective incident at Trump’s private Mar-A-Lago club, where a Chinese national was arrested after gaining admission to the exclusive resort, according to The Associated Press.
ed by former Presidents Ronald Reagan (R) and Bill Clinton (L) at the James J. Rowley training facility in Beltsville, Maryland, on October 13, 2017. (Photo by SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images)
Alles was appointed April 25, 2017 at the request of John Kelly, then Secretary of Homeland Security, who threatened to quit otherwise, according to sources. Trump interviewed Alles, but was reportedly not impressed due to Alles lack of knowledge of the U.S. Secret Service (USSS).
“Apparently it was too much trouble to read books and articles about the agency or to check out the Secret Service website before meeting with the president,” wrote Kessler in his book about Trump.
At one point, Alles had reportedly suggested trimming the Secret Service budget by reducing protection of Trump family members unless an actual threat had been made. The White House staff is said to have rejected Alles’ proposal, given the hostility they feel has been directed at Trump and his family by opponents.
Trump has selected James M Murray, a career member of the USSS, to replace Alles, according to a White House statement reported by The Washington Times. He will reportedly start in May.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org