The lawyer representing a Covington Catholic student who was falsely accused of racism said that he intends to sue CNN next week for hundreds of millions of dollars.
Nicholas Sandman was portrayed by multiple news outlets, media personalities and social media influencers as having verbally attacked a Native American and a group of Black Hebrew Israelites. Now, his lawyer plans to sue CNN for their false reporting on the matter.
“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than the Washington Post,” attorney Lin Wood told Mark Levin during an interview on Life Liberty and Levin set to air Sunday night. “They really went after Nicholas with the idea that he was part of a mob that was attacking the Black Hebrew Israelites, yelling racist slurs at the Black Hebrew Israelites.”
“Totally false, saying things like that that Nicholas was part of a group that was threatening the Black Hebrew Israelites, that they thought it was going to be a lynching,” he added.
CNN and other news outlets ran stories depicting the MAGA hat-wearing Covington Catholic High School students as racists. A clip on social media was deceptively edited to make it appear as though the students had started the confrontation. Later, the entire video surfaced showing that the Native American and Black Hewbrew Israelites were solely responsible, but the damage to the boys’ reputations had already been done. Wood plans to file the suit early next week for several hundred million dollars.
“Monday, Tuesday at the latest. But Monday is the present plan,” he said. “[We’re] Double checking and listen, when we file complaints, we’ve investigated it because we want to get it right.”
“Maybe CNN can learn from that,” he quipped.
The amounts in the CNN suit will be significantly larger than those in a suit Wood brought against The Washington Post also for the damage done to Sandman’s reputation due to their inaccurate reporting.
“I expect because of the way they [CNN] went after Nicholas so viciously that the claim for his reputational damage will be higher than it was against the Washington Post,” he told Levin. “I would think the punitive damage award against CNN that we’ll seek will be at least the same $200 million as it was against the Washington Post. But the compensatory damage to Nicholas’s reputation, that number I expect will be higher.”
Wood seeks $200 million in reputational damages and $50 million in punitive damages from The Washington Post.
The full interview will air on Fox News Channel at 10 PM EDT Sunday night.
Content created by Conservative Daily News and some content syndicated through CDN is available for re-publication without charge under the Creative Commons license. Visit our syndication page for details and requirements.