Perhaps I’m old-fashioned, but I’m not ready to let strangers open the front door of my house especially when I’m not there and that’s exactly what Amazon Key is hoping to get us to do.
Like many Americans, I am an Amazon Prime member. Our family uses the service to watch movies and get super fast delivery for free, if you don’t count the annual fee. Now the retail behemoth is offering electronic locks that their delivery people can open – even if you’re not home.
The promo shows them dropping a box just inside the front door, but Amazon has said that they could put fresh food deliveries into your refrigerator. My fridge is nowhere near the front door and this kinda freaks me out.
- Not at home? Not a problem. As a Prime member, you can get packages securely delivered into your home without being there. Plus, grant access to the people you trust, like your family, friends, dog walker, or house cleaner—no more leaving a key under the mat.
- Secure access. The In-Home Kit features the Amazon Cloud Cam (Key Edition) indoor security camera and an Amazon Key-compatible smart lock.
- Real-time notifications. We’ll send notifications the morning of delivery, just before, and right after. Watch your delivery happening live or view a video clip of it later.
- Stop making spare keys. Give family and friends temporary, recurring, or permanent access. Or provide one-time access for your electrician or dog walker. You’re in control—just schedule the date and time window.
- Check in on your front door 24/7. The Amazon Key In-Home Kit includes an Amazon Cloud Cam (Key Edition) indoor security camera with 1080p Full HD, night vision, and more—plus an Amazon Key-compatible smart lock for secure access control.
- Free installation. Get the Amazon Key In-Home Kit installed for free by a professional. Just schedule your installation appointment during checkout.
- Exclusively for Prime members in select cities and surrounding areas. Enter your zip code to see if Amazon Key is available in your area. Check back as we expand to more cities.
The Cloud Cam (camera) and lock sell for $249.00 if this is something you feel you really need and it is only available in select areas at this time (not mine so I guess that decision is made for me.) Aw heck, if you have an Amazon Echo and Amazon Show, Alexa can already see and hear everything you do – might as well give her the run of the place. What could go wrong? Pre-orders available for Amazon Prime members only.