My Take on Phil Robertson, Or: Christians Need to WAKE UP!!

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “My Take on Phil Robertson, Or: Christians Need to WAKE UP!!”.

1. Yobirdi says:

I think he absolutely gets it. I too am weary of having to justify basic American values. i am tired of listening to race issues, women’s issues, gay issues, socialist cry baby issues, illegal immigrant whining, religious issues, etc, etc, etc. they all believe theirs is the just cause forgetting that without a free America none of those things they espouse are possible. I support Phil Robertsons beliefs but for crying out loud the Ducks are embarrasing. No wonder we are considered idiots. He didn’t our cause any favors at all.

2. Rick says:

Mr. Drake, clearly your bitterness and sarcasm have “outed you.” (Pun intended) Because Mr. Robertson chose to be specific the evangelical’s response was as well. We are called to love the sinner and hate the sin. Your attempt at humor has fallen short and you sir, don’t get it. I am a Christian, conservative, and down right tired of being expected to apologize; much to yours and others chagrin, I never will. I wholly recommend you STUDY the Word of God before spewing angst against those to whom you claim an allegiance.

• Brian Drake says:

Rick,

Thanks for your reply. I never said Phil in particular or Christians in general should apologize for anything. I don’t know where you got that from, but it wasn’t in my piece.

Jesus told us to go and preach the Good News to the world. The point of the Great Commission is to win souls for Christ. There is nothing Phil Robertson said that makes me want to sign up. By contrast, when I hear Billy Graham preach, I want to get saved all over again. There is a world of difference between the two.

And nobody hates Billy Graham.

Christians need to spend less time telling people what they’re doing wrong and more time telling them about the love of Jesus. Only then will we see a culture change. However, based on the last two decades, that’s asking too much. We are doomed to go kicking and screaming into irrelevancy. But at least everybody will know that God hates fags.

3. Derrell Poole says:

Brian, you have hit the fundamental issue on the head.

Let me state clearly – I am NOT a Christian. I have a very extensive Christian background and I grew to absolutely loath the Crystal Cathedrals and the insidious message of gemme-gemme prosperity!

I remember the days when David Wilkerson DID walk the walk and castigated the purple robes and what we might now call Sanctimonious BLING! and warned American of where she was going!

Not being a Christian in no wise compromises my beliefs that our Christian heritage and core values. I know that I know these are indeed the best way for mankind to maintain his freedom and individual liberties while co-existing with fellow humans. It in no wise prevents me from striving to be true to myself and concentric in my purpose and action.

Christians argue that we must be redeemed because it is the power of the Anointing – Jesus CHRIST – that we are able to choose good over evil. I am not opposed to that; I simple never connected with that power even having attempted several times. My belief is that we all have the ability to DO THE RIGHT THING of our own free will. When we do what is right and good we PROTECT our Freedom! Perhaps an eternal reward (I have no such beliefs) is what many of us need but to me – alive at this very moment and in fear of loosing my freedom – the unction to do good is OVERWHELMING!

I love Christians in the sense that we are staunch allies but I believe you guys do indeed need to become activists of good at every level. I too am responsible and shall admonish at every opportunity the mandatory pursuit of righteousness in our people.

The reason GLAAD is so successful is because they have ACTIVELY advertised their message and we who stand for goodness have been delighting in the Bling instead of listening to the prophets!!

Freedom is based on the responsibility of the individual to do what is right to their fellow man. A mutual reverence for Unalienable rights! Keep your responsibility! Maintain your integrity – even when no one is looking!

• Brian Drake says:

Derrell,
      This: “The reason GLAAD is so successful is because they have ACTIVELY advertised their message…”

Right on point. GLAAD has ONE message. Just one. And they repeat it over and over again. The Right, Christian or not, needs to learn from that. We are all over the place trying to cover different targets when we could actually cover all the targets by repeating one single core idea.

4. Joseph D says:

Mr. Drake,
    if you don’t like the Duck Show I won’t call you a “hater” or tear the heads off my little multi-culti Barbies.
    You may be correct about the “Church”, but I’m not sure which one you are referring to or just Christians in general.
    I walked from the Catholic Church when it became the target of the Obama Administration and we had to hear about healthcare propaganda and condoms.

An organization called One Thousand Black Churches first snuffed-out the proposed pro-gay marriage laws in California but the gays blamed the Mormons instead.
    More hate!

The Kennedy Katholics also gave us pedophile, homosexual priests which we have yet to properly address due to offending the “LGBT Community (who faint at Obama speeches) by telling the truth about WHO those priests are.

Outside leftist intruders have been attacking Christians and Jews to soften us up through intimidation to accept THEIR agenda which is now reaching into grade school children, Hollywood movies, prime time television, and now these phony scandals.

I believe Phil Robertson was set-up for this interview in GQ Magazine and for some reason he took the bait.

My guess is that an A&E producer arranged it knowing what he would probably say for the sake of publicity or GLAAD tried to extort money from them like they have with many others and is very much part of the entertainment industry (Joan Garry, from MTV)

Phil Robertson should have never done that interview unless he thought he was getting a free pair of skinny jeans, but my bet is that he never even heard of the magazine which is now a cable TV station showing old Bravo Network shows that cater to gays, some of those shows are “vile”.

If I was Phil I would have chosen my words a little more carefully or stuck to a gospel-style message as you said, but that’s not what people want in Phil… they want a straight shooter who tells the truth as he sees it and doesn’t have to TRY to be a man (Hello Gentleman’s Quarterly!)

By December nineteenth, Walmart said that they had completely sold out of Duck Dynasty merchandise. As usual, we will follow the money trail to get to the bottom of this, but we wont be hearing about it in the mainstream media which is why I read Conservative Daily News.

Thank you for the CDN article and reading my post.

• Brian Drake says:

Joseph,
      You might be right. In the days leading up to the GQ article, somebody either on television or radio (I wish I could remember!) said that the Robertsons would eventually be a target. A&E has already told them to tone down the Jesus talk on the duck show as to not offend anybody; they refused; perhaps you’re right, and this interview was “set up” to get them in a bind that will lead to the eventual cancellation of the show. The network can’t drop it for no reason. This will be their reason.

Perhaps. Who knows. What’s nice here is an anti-PC effort is finally mobilizing.

Thanks for your letter.