TLC Statement of Principles
On March 15, 2013 I posted the preamble to the Platform of the Traditional Libertarian Constitutionalists (TLC) political initiative. This is not an official political party as yet. However, it is a series of positions which can unify the nation around sound public policy which a vast number of Americans are craving.
Below, in conjunction with the previous post, is a statement of principles for this initiative.
Platform of Traditional Libertarian Constitutionalists (TLC)
Statement of Principles
It is essential to defend the rights of the individual over the expanding authority of government to establish preemptive regulation in most forms.
Individuals have the right to exercise sole dominion over their own lives, and have the mutual right to live in whatever manner they choose, so long as they do not forcibly interfere with the equal right of others to live in whatever manner they choose.
Governments exist to provide specifically, but they ought not to violate the rights of any individual, as follows:
(1) The right to life — Traditional Libertarian Constitutionalists supports the prohibition of the initiation of physical force against others;
(2) The right to liberty of speech and action — accordingly Traditional Libertarian Constitutionalists oppose all attempts by government to make laws encouraging or restricting the establishment of any religious organization, or prohibiting the free exercise of the doctrines thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the publication of views (print or digital); or the right of the people peaceably to assemble for the purpose of petitioning the Government for a redress of grievances; or by imposing censorship in any form upon an individual or organization expressing non-violent opposition to government acts; and
(3) The right to property — accordingly Traditional Libertarian Constitutionalists
- Oppose all government interference with private ownership of capital and property, such as confiscation, nationalization, and eminent domain, and
- Oppose any form of government regulation of the financial management of private ownership of capital and property, and
- Support the prohibition of robbery, trespass, fraud, and misrepresentation.
Since governments, when instituted, ought not violate individual rights, Traditional Libertarian Constitutionalists oppose all interference by government in the areas of voluntary and contractual relations among individuals. People should not be forced to sacrifice their lives, liberty, and property for the benefit or choices of others. They should be left free by government to deal with one another as free traders. The most effective economic system, the only one compatible with the protection of individual rights, is Free Market Capitalism.
Free Market Capitalism is essential for the best ordered society. Free Market Capitalism consists of absolute ownership and control of all resources of production being held in the hands of private individuals and groups of individuals in contract.