Global warming alarmist Al Gore’s decision to sell his Current TV to petrodollar-backed, Muslim TV network, Al Jazeera, is a study in appalling, self-serving hypocrisy. Al Jazeera is owned by the government of Qatar and Hot Air Al took a cool $100 million for the sale, even trying unsuccessfully to evade 2013 tax hikes his fellow Democrats demanded in the “fiscal cliff” deal.
NBC’s Matt Lauer asked in an interview if taking oil money wasn’t a bit hypocritical. Gore responded that al Jazeera “has long since established itself as a really distinguished and effective news gathering organization…” Interviewed by Jon Stewart, Gore called the sale “a positive addition to the U.S. media landscape…” In both interviews Gore also claimed that Al Jazeera’s coverage of global warming is more extensive and better than U.S. media.
No one in the media balked at Gore’s claims, but worse, they completely ignored the much more explosive story that Al Jazeera may be operating here in direct violation of federal law. Worse still, the Obama administration is fully aware of this and is doing nothing to stop it. Finally, as a recognized propaganda outlet for al Qaeda and other Muslim terrorist groups, Al Jazeera poses an overt national security threat.
Cliff Kincaid is holding a press conference at the National Press Club in Washington, DC, Tuesday, February 5th to bring these facts to public attention. Sharing the podium with him will be broadcaster Jerry Kenney, who has documented some of Al Jazeera’s alleged criminal activity. Noted Islamist fighter, Pam Geller, will also be in attendance. Pam scored a major victory against Islamic radicals in court by defending her right to post billboards highlighting Islamic terrorism at public transportation stops and other locations throughout the U.S.
A 2010 Supreme Court decision (Holder vs. The Humanitarian Law Project) holds that speech normally protected under the First Amendment can be a criminal act if directed by a terrorist organization. Al Jazeera seems to fit the bill. Kincaid and Kenney have documented Al Jazeera’s anti-American propaganda and its many terrorist connections. A few highlights:
- The Emir of Qatar, who owns Aljazeera, recently donated 400 million dollars to Hamas, a State Department designated terrorist group.
- Film footage of captured terrorists in Iraq shows they came to kill Americans because of Al Jazeera.
- NBC News reporter Lisa Myers said: “Why do they go [to fight in Iraq]? Saudis captured in Iraq say it’s because of pictures on Arab television network Al-Jazeera.
- CNN reports that a document found in bin Laden’s compound after his death referred to a meeting with the Al-Jazeera bureau chief in Pakistan.
- The new film, “Zero Dark Thirty,” mentions that the courier who eventually led the CIA to bin Laden was located in Pakistan near an Al Jazeera office in order to get the terrorist leader’s videotapes to the channel for worldwide distribution.
- 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed… was protected by the government of Qatar, which funds Al Jazeera.
- Father of journalist Daniel Pearl, the journalist beheaded by Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, says, “Al Jazeera is the main propaganda machine of the Muslim Brotherhood.”
- French media openly report that Qatar is supporting the Mali terrorists
- An Al Jazeera story, “Mali: The ‘gentle’ face of al-Qaeda,” reported that the terrorists “are playing the role of humanitarians” by providing food to local people.
- Al Jazeera supports the radical Muslim and far-left campaign to free “Lady al Qaeda” Aafia Siddiqui, currently serving a life sentence for attempted murder and wife of 9/11 planner Ammar al-Baluchi,.
- In the U.S., the movement to free Siddiqui includes Ramsey Clark, the Workers World Party (WWP) and the Party for Socialism and Liberation.
- Al Jazeera reporter Tayseer Allouni, was convicted as an agent of al Qaeda.
Allowing an Al Jazeera propaganda mill to operate in the U.S. while our troops fight and die in the Global War on Terror is akin to having permitted Japanese radio propagandist “Tokyo Rose” or Nazi Germany’s “Lord Haw Haw” to broadcast from our shores during World War II.
Foreign Agent Registration Act (FARA) Violation
The State Department has identified Al Jazeera as a property of the Qatar government, adding that “[Qatar] exercised editorial and programmatic control of the channel through funding and selection of the station’s management.” As such, Al Jazeera must by law register as a foreign agent. It has not done so, nor has it disclosed its status when broadcasting, as required by FARA. Jerry Kenney submitted a complaint to the Holder Justice Department in October 2011 requesting they investigate these allegations. They responded that they would take it “under advisement,” but nothing has yet been done.
Unauthorized Control of a Broadcast TV Station
Al Jazeera is currently broadcast on 28 noncommercial television stations in the U.S. According to Kenney, Al Jazeera cannot legally own a U.S. TV station license, but “may have unlawfully taken control of some public broadcast stations through an illegal affiliate agreement that forced them to carry the Aljazeera programming.” He filed a complaint with the FCC almost two years ago, but they have done nothing. Recall that FCC Commissioner Julius Genachowski is a longtime friend and Harvard classmate of President Obama. Genachowski’s ex-wife, Martha Raddatz, moderated the sole Vice Presidential debate last year. No influence there…
Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS)
According to its website:
CFIUS is an inter-agency committee authorized to review transactions that could result in control of a U.S. business by a foreign person (“covered transactions”), in order to determine the effect of such transactions on the national security of the United States.
Al Jazeera claims their purchase doesn’t require CFIUS review, but past foreign media purchases of much more benign import have come under CFIUS authority. It seems clear that Al Jazeera does fall firmly within CFIUS purview, but once again, the government has chosen inaction.
National Security Risk
As a recognized producer of anti-American, Islamist propaganda, Al Jazeera poses a direct national security threat. Overseas it has fanned the flames of resentment against the West. Within the U.S. it can be expected to collude in the Muslim Brotherhood’s “Civilization Jihad” to gradually subvert American culture and law through deception and “information dominance.”
Despite Obama administration claims to the contrary, the Muslim Brotherhood is not a benign organization. Current al Qaeda leader, Ayman al Zawahiri, is a longtime Brotherhood member. The Brotherhood’s goals within the U.S. were clearly spelled out in a secret document revealed in the 2004 Holyland Foundation trial (Comments were part of the original documents):
- Phase One: Phase of discreet and secret establishment of leadership.
- Phase Two: Phase of gradual appearance on the public scene and exercising and utilizing various public activities (It greatly succeeded in implementing this stage). It also succeeded in achieving a great deal of its important goals, such as infiltrating various sectors of the Government, gaining religious institutions and embracing senior scholars. Gaining public support and sympathy. Establishing a shadow government (secret) within the Government.
- Phase Three: Escalation phase, prior to conflict and confrontation with the rulers, through utilizing mass media. Currently in progress.
- Phase Four: Open public confrontation with the Government through exercising the political pressure approach. Training on the use of weapons domestically and overseas in anticipation of zero-hour. It has noticeable activities in this regard.
- Phase Five: Seizing power to establish their [sic] Islamic Nation under which all parties and Islamic groups are united.
Another document states:
The Ikhwan [Muslim Brotherhood] must understand that their work in America is a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and “sabotaging” its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and God’s religion is made victorious over all other religions…
Kincaid’s press conference will review the above allegations in depth. Based on the extensive documentation that has already been compiled, Kincaid will issue a call for a congressional investigation. Let’s hope they listen. For fun and profit, Al Gore has granted acceptance and access in U.S. media markets to a radical Islamist propaganda network whose broadcasts have danced on the graves of Americans but who will now operate in the U.S. pretending to be the “moderate” face of Islam. In wiser days we called that treason.