ObamaCare, What Are We Afraid Of?

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “ObamaCare, What Are We Afraid Of?”.

Tags: , ,

Previous Article
Next Article

1. Johan Sanderson says:

I was very happy to see this article, but I am confused by some of your objections. In regards to “Democrats stood in the way of everything the Republicans wanted to do.” What exactly did the Republican’s propose? I didn’t hear a single counter proposal but I may have missed it in the media blitz. Also, Democrats had the people’s mandate with a majority in both House and Senate. If Democrats are proposing a bill with a majority and republicans are rejecting it, how exactly are Democrats standing in the way of Republicans?
    As to your second point, I assure you people have read this. More in line with reality though, Dateline did a survey on Congress people reading the bills they pass before signing off on them. This was shortly after the Patriot Act was signed. They read about 10% of 10% of the things that come across their desk, and yet somehow the laws get passed and implemented.
    Point 3: most congresspersons were lawyers and many studied laws involving medicine as it is a very lucrative profession. Also, I couldn’t find anything reliable that pointed to anything other than a split or an overall favoring of Obamacare amongst doctors. I found some things on the blogosphere that were closer to your number, but they also said the ultimate goal of Obamacare was for the illuminati to use it as a black market for organ trades with aliens…
    Point 4: This one confuses me a lot. Lots of other countries do far better with far few dollars spent on health care. Custom fit, high quality limb replacements in India are in the thousandths of a percent of that spent in America (both measured in current US dollars). The list is too long here but the UN and other international organizations rate our health care as comparable with that of most south american countries. Cuba beats us by a lot in investment to return ratio.
    Point 5: government dictating your healthcare has been roundly proven false by too many fact checking organizations to count. Its old news. And as far as big government, the PPACA (obamacare) puts a huge number of people into the private sector. It doesn’t insure or treat anyone. you also posed that currently doctors decide what is good for us and the government will under obamacare. Since the latter isnt the case, what about the former? Wouldn’t you say that private insurance companies are currently doing that? Ones focused on profits who classify women as preexisting conditions and cancer survivors as uninsurable? Why doesn’t that bother you?
    Point 6: I couldn’t agree more. The POTUS is constitutionally restricted from introducing legislation. And Democrats sure had a plan about this. It was actually modeled on the Republican’s 1989 Heritage Foundation brief titled “Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans.” Republican’s in fact, championed this very idea for 20 years before decrying it. Mitt Romney enacted a portion of it in Massachusetts.
    To your closing: I wonder how you view the history of American when you see that the government ruins everything it touches. Government has been behind every forward movement since the country’s inception and always fighting the greed of the market to push forward. The declaration of independence, the constitution, child labor laws, 40 hour work weeks, universal suffrage, the end of slavery, meat packing plant sanitation, the nation’s infrastructure, a public education system, trash removal, interstate highways, killing Nazis, and microwave ovens. Sure the government messed up a whole bunch of other stuff but if you list it, you really do damage to the idea of American Excpetionalism.
    My closing: You may want to examine something substantive about the law that you disagree with. Might I suggest disagreeing with the individual mandate or the 80/20 rule? In general though, stay away from the “job-killer” talking point, it is another thoroughly disproved claim.

• Chris Vaca says:

Johan, I am sorry but you could not be more wrong with your facts. I guess you will believe the facts you find and I will believe the facts I find.Our founding fathers set this country up to have a small Federal Government and have the states run themselves.
      A very wise man once said, If you hear a knock on the door and it is the Government saying they are there to help you, slam the door, lock it and hide under the bed.

• Johan Sanderson says:

“In closing the Government should have a very small role in the private sector hours worked and wages should be determined by the market, not the Government. The Government puts restrictions on the private sector that hinder not help. A person that owns a business should be able to hire, fire and promote whoever he wants and for what ever reason.” I guess where I disagree on this is the last time in American History when the government had a hands-off approach to the private sector, it was the so-called Liassez faire economic policies of 19th century libertarianism. The market dictated that entrances and exits could be locked to keep workers from taking breaks. Lots of workers died as a result of asphyxiation from fires or polutants. See the triangle shirtwaist factory fire of 1903. Children as young as ten mined coal, and died for their labor. If you got injured in an industrial accident – oh well. Workers lived in factory owned apartments, buying cost inflated products from the company to keep them beholden to their employers and perpetually in debt. Monopolies did away with competition. I just don’t think that a boss today should be able to grope a co-worker and fire her when she complains about it, then use that intimidation to keep other victims from crying out. I don’t think that when a company packages something labeled ground beef, that it should be able to contain 5% rat feces. I believe that when I buy baby formula, it should not contain mercury. I think bundling mortgage backed securities and hedging against them is a dangerous financial practice. I’m glad that usery is illegal and that banks can’t collectively agree to charge $50 in overdraft fees. Am I for current and past administrations ignoring the 4th, 6th, and eighth amendments? No. I think that is government overstepping its bounds and going quite literally breaking the highest law of the land. But do we both enjoy the benefits of an educated populace, government maintained infrastructure, and cheap safe food? You bet we do. Government has a place, and ignoring the people it governs is not it.

• Chris Vaca says:

Johan, I agree that there should be some Government oversight, safety of the American people is one, telling a person how they should run their business, or how much they have to pay someone, no. If the Government would stop at educating and recommending that would be fine, but they overstep with restricting laws and regulation.

2. Josh says:

Oh and by the way we also have the strongest economy in the world just sayin…

3. Josh says:

I live in Australia and we have ‘socialised health care’. As an observer I dont see what the fuss is about.
    Our country has had medicare for all for over 30 years and we also have private health care for those that can afford it .
    Doctors in my country applause public health as it does not discrimnate.
    If you have a power tool accident at work and cut you’re fingers off they don’t ask you “have you got insurance?”
    NO they do not. They attempt to stitch your hand together and if successful they then ask you
    “have you got private health cover?”
    you say yes then here’s the bill
    you say no then ok you’re poor the rich who pay the most taxes pay for your hand.
    As the Country that has the biggest divide between rich and poor IN the developed world you should understand that this is just.
    The rest of the world is waiting for you to catch up.

4. Valerie says:

I’ve read many of Chris Vaca’s articles. I’ve enjoyed them all. But this was by far his best.
    Right on, Chris !! And after what happened today, his final sentence reveals our only hope. Repeal and replace.

• Ry says:

Replace with what, don’t see any alternative pitched? Where does the 86% of physicians are against Obamacare- what is source? I call BS. Bill is not perfect, but the mandate is a conservative/Republican born idea. Mandating people to get insurance (like we do with car, home, etc.) is not a revolutionary idea or some socialist idea gone haywire.

5. Adam says:

Regarding public opinion, the latest polls suggest most Americans are in favor of the majority of the bill’s provisions, except the individual mandate.

• Jerry Peters says:

There are some parts of the bill that are good, but the bill in it’s entirety is a disaster.