Our young adults will soon be carrying the heavy burden of government spending gone wild. Too often the youth are caught up in managing their day-to-day existence not realizing the danger just around the corner. Conservatives need to remind our young people that their livelihood will be impacted by current government policies.
We need them to become activists and help change the direction of our country. Groups like Resistance 44 are forming. Share this with your young friends. The future is now.
Right Online 2012 just keep on getting better and better. First, we added new speakers, Dana Loesch, Jonah Goldberg, and S.E. Cupp, and now we hear that a special screening of “Hating Breitbart” will premiere the night the conference begins. A special event to commemorate the late Andrew Breitbart and the work he has done in combating the Democrat-Media Complex. However, the fight with the institutional left has only just begun. If you want to see this film and attend the various panel discussions detailing new strategies in the new media fight against the left and haven’t registered, it’s not too late.
Facing a divisive run-off vote for president of Egypt, Mohammed Mursi, the Muslim Brotherhood’s candidate, is trying for the center ground. He’s said he would include a wide range of political forces in government, promising to provide representation to women and children. “I stress to all people that the presidency… will never be individual,” he said. “Rather, the presidency will be an institution.”
Mursi also tried to reassure the uprising’s youth group leaders, saying he wanted a “democratic, civil, and modern state” including freedom of religion and a right to protest. “There will not be emergency law, and there will be no arrests,” he said. “Youths are free, but they should bear part of the responsibility.”
Mursi added that Coptic Christians would be named as presidential advisers and even one as vice-president “if possible”. “Our Christian brothers, they are partners in the nation. They will have full rights that are equal to those enjoyed by Muslims.” There would also not be an enforced Islamic dress code, he insisted. “Women have a right to freely choose the attire that suits them.”
Egypt in 2011-2012 is a lot like Iran was in 1979-1980. A highly unpopular Western-backed leader heavily protected by a lavishly financed army being toppled by public demonstrations led by youthful protestors in advance of “democratic” popular elections. It also sounds like a 2012 version of “Hope and Change” Egyptian style.
Tell the people what they want to hear. Promise a transparent, inclusive, post-partisan government that secures freedoms and preserves rights. In fact, whatever the promises required to secure enough votes to win election are, make them. Once in office, keeping those promises will lose priority in the face of enacting the unspoken agenda. If broken promises become a problem, simply blame the very same political opposition you vowed during the campaign to work with as part of an inclusive government for preventing you from fulfilling those promises. Then, as in the case of the “progressive” Democratic candidate for the U.S. presidency, re-vow to keep the promises you’ve failed to keep over the past three years after you’re re-elected.
In June 1979, Khomeini’s Freedom Movement released a draft constitution for an Islamic Republic that included a Guardian Council to veto un-Islamic legislation. Despite claims of “vote-rigging, violence against undesirable candidates and the dissemination of false information to produce an assembly overwhelmingly dominated by clergy loyal to Khomeini”, the new constitution was approved by Khomeini and the Assembly of Experts. Khomeini and the Assembly then changed course, rejecting the constitution, declaring the new government should be based “100% on Islam.” The National Democratic Front was banned in August 1979. The Muslim People’s Republican Party was banned in January 1980. The People’s Mujahadin of Iran was attacked in February 1980. University purges begun in March 1980.
Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, like all cells of the Muslim Brotherhood, is a proxy for the Iranian Islamic Republic. The likelihood is high that promises will be broken, political opposition ruthlessly oppressed, with freedoms and rights denied. Throughout human history, society has broken down into conflicting groups. Each group has said “We are right and you are wrong”, and if it’s strong enough, imposed its will upon the others.
Egypt’s pro-democracy activists already know the Brotherhood only joined their 2011 uprising after it had gained irreversible momentum. They also know that in order to secure goodwill with the generals who took the country over post-Mubarak the Brotherhood ditched them during their protests against military rule. The Brotherhood lost still more credibility when it reversed a decision not to run a presidential candidate in the election. Then it tried to stack a 100-member panel assigned to draft the constitution with Islamists, compromised mostly of it’s own members.
Given the history of Islamists co-opting popular uprisings against pro-western leaders in order to impose a theocratic regime, do not be surprised to see that occur in Egypt.
As it will be in the United States should the current White House occupant attempt an unconstitutional coup to prevent electoral defeat, the military is the ultimate wild card.
- In August 2009, President Obama exhorts citizens to “snitch” on one another regarding any supposed lies or disinformation regarding Obamacare. His website, “FLAG,” actually led to blog-tracking for information related to the program.
- In 2011, Obama relaunches similar program, and becomes Internet laughing stock, with Attack Watch.
- Obama has sought authority for an Internet kill switch, an agenda that has been resurrected in 2012.
- The president once mistakenly referred to the web as “the Internets.”
- President Obama gave classroom addresses, not once, but twice. Some schools made his address mandatory viewing.
- Along with the first address, teachers around the country were sent a compendium to evaluate their reaction to the president’s message.
- President Obama indeed did use a teleprompter when addressing a sixth-grade classroom.
- Kids love Obama: So much so that adults and teachers helped them craft videos, music, and other forms of president-worship.
- Without my own teleprompter, it is hard for me to say how many times Obama has used his. Countless times. So many times even Politico noticed.
- Obama without a teleprompter: Gets lost, calls inhalator a “breathalyzer.”
- The president is notorious for his ahhs and umms. One forty-one minute speech given in Amman, Jordan was nearly seven and a half minutes of ahhs and umms.
- James Carville once took President Obama to task for scheduling an address during a GOP debate.
- At candidate Obama’s DNC speech, a massive Greek amphitheater was erected in an attempt to make his ego seem more proportionate.
- Politico’s Roger Simon called Barack Obama the greatest orator of modern times.
- Former Congressman Harold Ford called him the greatest orator to ever be president.
- Effusive praise for Obama was published in numerous major publications around the country under the pseudonym “Ellie Light.”
- Near the end of Obama’s campaign season, “journalists” Tom Brokaw and Charlie Rose admit they don’t know much about the man.
- Time magazine’s Mark Halperin slams mainstream media for its “extreme bias, extreme pro-Obama coverage” during 2008 campaign season.
- One Time magazine photographer worker for the publication and the administration at the same time.
- An online association of “bloggers, reporters and editors” and “a number of professional political operatives, including top White House economic advisors, key Obama political appointees, and Democratic campaign veterans” called Journolist worked together to shape news coverage and get Obama elected.
- The president once thanked powerful Hollywood producer Jeffrey Katzenberg for his work. “If it weren’t for you, we would not be in the White House,” Obama said.
- Barack Obama utilized the taxpayer-funded National Endowment of the Arts to propagandize for his health care plan.
- A former director at disgraced, defunded, and formally disbanded ACORN will head up Obama’s “Project Vote” campaign in 2012.
- Candidate Obama said on the campaign trail, “Our goal is to have a country that’s not divided by race.”
- Countless times, Democrats and left-leaning organizations like the NAACP, have denounced Obama’s opponents as “racist.” The president has never sought to correct his party’s obvious tactic to delegitimize valid objections to his policies.
- Unsurprisingly, polls suggest America is more racially divided under Obama than in previous years.
- President Obama famously said of the Cambridge police’s arrest of black scholar Henry Louis Gates, Jr. “the police acted stupidly.”
- A police tape released later shows that protocol was followed and Mr. Gates was being uncooperative.
- The president then tried to make it all better with a “beer summit.”
- The beers served at the beer summit, including Bud Light, were all brewed by foreign-owned manufacturers.
- Obama had earlier lost a bet on a Hockey game to the Canadian president Stephen Harper, obliging him to send a case of Molson Canadian over the border. Obama threw in a case of American-made Yuengling.
- The president allowed his wife Michelle to bully private company McDonald’s until it gave in and included apple slices in Happy Meals.
- The left-wing flipped when Obama nominated former vice president and chief lobbyist of ag company Monsanto Michael Taylor to act as his “Food Safety Czar.”
- At a $36,000 a plate fundraiser, Obama compares himself to Martin Luther King. (As mentioned earlier, he wrongly attributes quote to MLK.)
- The monument to Martin Luther King Jr. erected under Obama was slated to be corrected after the “drum major” quote was considered to be too arrogant-sounding.
- Barack Obama once said that the “Constitution is stained by the sin of slavery.”
- Here is what the “Constitutional scholar” Barack Obama (who never published a peer reviewed article on the subject) said in an interview before he became president: “The Supreme Court never ventured into the issues of redistribution of wealth and sort of more basic issues of political and economic justice in this society. And to that extent, as radical as I think people tried to characterize the Warren Court, it wasn’t that radical. It didn’t break free from the essential constraints that were placed by the founding fathers in the Constitution, as least as it’s been interpreted, and [sic] Warren Court interpreted in the same way that, generally, the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties, says what the states can’t do to you, says what the federal government can’t do to you, but it doesn’t say what the federal government or the state government must do on your behalf. ”
- Here is what Obama’s nominee to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals Goodwin Liu wrote in a 2006 Yale Law Review article: “On my account of the Constitution’s citizenship guarantee, federal responsibility logically extends to areas beyond education. Importantly, however, the duty of government cannot be reduced to simply providing the basic necessities of life….. Beyond a minimal safety net, the legislative agenda of equal citizenship should extend to systems of support and opportunity that, like education, provide a foundation for political and economic autonomy and participation. The main pillars of the agenda would include basic employment supports such as expanded health insurance, child care, transportation subsidies, job training, and a robust earned income tax credit.” Liu was eventually voted down in the Senate, but he was later appointed by Governor Jerry Brown to the California Supreme Court.
- During the State of the Union address in 2010, the President unprecedentedly condemned the Supreme Court’s decision upholding business owners’ right to free speech during political campaigns to the Justices’ faces. The president called on Congress to legislatively overturn the court decision. Justice Alito, for his part, mouthed the words “not true” during the shameless criticism.
- In 2009, Congressman Joe Wilson famously yelled “You lie!” to President Obama, who had just stated that criticism that the healthcare bill would fund medicine for illegal immigrants was false. It turns out that Joe Wilson was right. Medical organizations that receive funding from Obamacare will not check for immigration status.
- President Obama’s Supreme Court nominee Justice Sonia Sotomayor was once caught on video saying the Court of Appeals is “where policy is made.”
- Justice Sotomayor also called herself a “wise Latina,” inspiring much spinning from Sotomayor and on the left that people didn’t understand what she meant. Here is the quote: “Justice O’Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. … I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. … I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”
- President Obama once said that one of the key attributes he would look for in a Supreme Court justice would be “empathy.” As ranking Republican on Senate Judiciary Committee Jeff Sessions commented: “Even today, President Obama advocates a judicial philosophy that calls on judges to base their decisions on empathy and their ‘broader vision of what America should be’… he suggests that his nominee shares that view. Our legal system does not allow such an approach.”
- Another Supreme Court Justice nominated by Barack Obama, Elena Kagan, criticized the Constitution as “defective.”
- She cited Justice Thurgood Marshall and was specifically talking about the Constitution’s three-fifths electoral apportionment clause, which was born of compromise between the northern states and southern states, and eventually led to the political weakening of the southern states and the Civil War. The Civil War that rendered it “moot,” was a movement in the direction of fulfilling the Founder’s vision of equality before the law, as established in the Fourteenth Amendment, itself a law misapplied widely today.
- Kagan also quoted Thurgood Marshall by saying the Supreme Court’s mission was to “show a special solicitude for the despised and the disadvantaged.”
- Elena Kagan also supported a lawsuit against the government’s efforts to deny federal funding to law schools that banned military recruiters from their campus in protest of the military’s “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy on gays.
- President Obama also appointed homosexual activist Kevin Jennings as his “Safe Schools Czar.” Jennings had been caught on tape discussing lewd sexual acts, and promoting books that indisputably endorsed underage sex, homosexual experimentation, and worse. Jennings was not pushed out of office until the middle of 2011.
- President Obama was reluctant to come out on the record on behalf of “gay rights,” such as “gay marriage.” He laughably said that his views were “evolving.”
- The president eventually ended the military policy of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” making it okay for servicemen to be openly gay in the military.
- President Obama’s popularity within the military has collapsed, according to Gallup.
- The administration announced it would back gay rights abroad, including the possibility of using foreign aid.
- In 2012, President Obama signed legislation for military sexual assault law reforms. Apparently, these reforms didn’t include separating sexes in certain situations, as the left must not consider sex-starved, stressed men going without intercourse for months mixed with young women as a potential problem.
- Women in the military are also much more likely to be critical of war policy than their male counterparts.
- President Obama was once caught looking at a sixteen-year old’s backside while visiting with French President Nikolas Sarkozy.
- Obama once said to a female reporter for ABC’s Detroit affiliate who asked about his plan to help American autoworkers,”Hold on one second, sweetie, we’re going to do – we’ll do a press avail.”
- Oddly missing in Obama’s biography is the lack of any publicly known girlfriends.
- The mainstream media in direct and indirect ways touted Obama’s sex appeal during his campaign. This is what one prominent piece said: “He’s not just a terrific orator, he has sex appeal too. Alongside him Gordon looked like your old maths teacher, desperately hoping that a bit of the stardust might blow his way. […] Barack doesn’t just speak, he jives. Tall, relaxed, supremely self-assured, he strides to the microphone, arms held loosely, head to one side, the top act about to kick off the show.”
- People may recall the leftwing media going ga-ga over the president’s shirtless pics taken from Hawaii.
- In 2012, a shirtless Barack Obama eats sand during a football game on the Hawaiian beach.
- As president, Obama has made it a public point to make his NCAA “March Madness” picks. ESPN ran a special segment on it and the NY Times even called his bracket “one of the best.”
- Legendary Duke coach Mike Kryzyzewski had the following comment: “Somebody said that we’re not in President Obama’s Final Four, and as much as I respect what he’s doing, really, the economy is something that he should focus on, probably more than the brackets.”
- Obama has played basketball while in office numerous occasions. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. But he has also brought in a number of NBA stars to play with him.
- Donald Trump said Obama should stop playing basketball and lower gas prices. Not that the two things are mutually exclusive, but rather that the man should take the economic issues more seriously.
- Obama tapped Ronald Reagan to defend his support for the so-called “Buffet Rule,” so-named for Warren Buffet’s comments about rich paying a lower tax rate in some cases than those in middle class or working poor.
- Obama said: “Now, some Republicans in Congress, they’re already dusting off the old — their old records. ‘That’s class warfare.’ Let me tell you something, 26 years ago — some of you may have seen this on television, clips have been circulating – 26 years ago, another President said that some of these tax loopholes, and I quote, ‘made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing while a bus driver was paying 10 percent of his salary, and that’s crazy. It’s time we stopped it.’ That was 26 years ago. You know the name of that President? Ronald Reagan.’ “
- The AP specifically debunked this meme. Quote: “On average, the wealthiest people in America pay a lot more taxes than the middle class or the poor, according to private and government data. They pay at a higher rate, and as a group, they contribute a much larger share of the overall taxes collected by the federal government.”
- The United States has the highest corporate taxes in the Western world. Even Democratic Ways and Means committee Chairman Charlie Wrangel proposed cutting the tax rate from 35% to 30.5%.
- And Obama said at the same speech: “So was that class warfare? By the way, taxes are much lower now than they ever were when Ronald Reagan was President. I know a lot of folks have short memories, but I don’t remember Republicans accusing Ronald Reagan of being a socialist – (laughter) – or engaging in class warfare, because he thought that everybody should do their fair share.”
- At the same speech, Obama also said, “”Now, this notion that folks are inherently selfish, that’s just not true. But you’ve got to ask them, right? People don’t voluntarily pay taxes.” Actually, you just disproved your own meme. People don’t voluntarily pay taxes. That shows that they are fundamentally selfish.
- President Obama also compared himself to FDR. He said, “I would put these first four months up against any prior administration since FDR,” Obama said. “We didn’t ask for the challenges that we face, but we don’t shrink from them either.”
- While giving his speech that has been called a successor to Theodore Roosevelt’s “New Nationalism,” Obama invoked Teddy to call for more regulation over the economy.
- The president also invoked JFK as a justification to move the country in a “fundamentally different direction.” Not sure what kind of “fundamentally different direction” under JFK the president was referring to. Aggressively defending the U.S. against Soviet communism? Slashing tax rates?
- Of course, then Senator Obama compared himself to Abraham Lincoln, penning a piece in Time magazine called “What I see in Lincoln’s eyes.”
- Obama once quoted Lincoln’s “Labor is the superior of Capital” line.
- President Obama criticized George W. Bush because he “did not necessarily believe in government as an agent of change.”The president added, “I want to make government cool again.”
- Obama has constantly used class warfare. One example is his framing of “kids vs. corporate jets.” It apparently didn’t strike him that kids may grow up to fly, build, or work on corporate jets.
- The first time the CEOs of GM and Chrysler went to Congress looking for a bailout, they were turned away because they flew in on corporate jets.
- In a prime-time speech, President Obama mentioned “corporate jets” no less than five times, and denounced a tax credit for ‘accelerated depreciation’ that could include corporate jets. Even friend of the administration Warren Buffett took offense.
- President Obama’s Kansas speech became notorious for its over-the-top class warfare rhetoric.
- Obama once said about a Kansas tornado, “In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died – an entire town destroyed.” The tornado killed 12 people.
- Obama said that the economic collapse of 2008 “combined the breathtaking greed of a few with irresponsibility all across the system. And it plunged our economy and the world into a crisis from which we’re still fighting to recover.” His solution? More government power, discretion, and action.
- The Obamas gave 1% to charity of $1.2 million earnings between 2000-2004, and then 5% of $2.6 million in 2005 and 2006. Mitt Romney, by comparison, gave 15% average of his multi-million dollar income in 2010 and 2011.
- Former Clinton adviser Mark Penn chided Obama for his class warfare rhetoric, and goaded him to abandon it before his 2012 campaign run.
- Obama once said, “”We’re not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that’s fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”
- President Obama once fired Inspector General Walpin without notice, allegedly for looking into corrupt ties from Americorps to the Obama administration.
- Obama once pronounced “corps” as “corpse.” This is what he said: “One such translator was an American of Haitian descent, representative of the extraordinary work that our men and women in uniform do all around the world – Navy Corpse-Man Christian Brossard.”
- The one area of the economy that Obama has stimulated while in office: ammunition sales.
- This is what Obama said while on the campaign trail: “We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we’ve set. We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.” Hard to take that quote out of context.
- When giving his a speech in Germany, Obama referred to himself as a “citizen of the world.”
- As Obama once put it, “In America, there’s a failure to appreciate Europe’s leading role in the world.”
- The president also said, “As a nuclear power – as the only nuclear power to have used a nuclear weapon – the United States has a moral responsibility to act. ” This was at Obama’s Prague speech on nuclear weapons.
- In 2010, the Obama administration announced its support for a small arms treaty.
- It was the same small arms treaty Hillary Clinton had supported in Mexico, just before a then little-known program called Project Gunrunner was announced by Janet Napolitano and members of the State Department and the Justice Department. Project Gunrunner was the parent program of Operation Fast and Furious. The operation infamously allowed straw purchasers to attain guns at gun shows without proper documentation and allowed them to “walk” back to Mexico.
- Nearly 60% of the guns were “lost.” Dozens turned up in crime scenes in Mexico and some even in the United States. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was infamously killed by a gun that was a part of Operation Fast and Furious.
- Attorney General Eric Holder was subpoenaed by Darrell Issa to testify about his knowledge of the program. Whether Holder is incompetent or a liar, President Obama has refused to hold Holder accountable.
- Earlier in Obama’s administration, the attorney general refused to prosecute two members of the Black Panther party for an obvious case of voter intimidation. One of them was a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. The case was widely considered to be a “slam dunk.”
- Eric Holder has been waging an aggressive campaign against state Voter ID laws, labeling their enforcement as tantamount to racism.
- As investigative guerrilla journalist James O’Keefe illustrated, many states’ lax voter ID laws allow even corpses to vote.
- President Obama’s second Chief of Staff William Daley, brother to Chicago mayor Richard Daley, resigned after just a year. Daley had described the first three years of Obama’s presidency as “brutal” and “ungodly.”
This is the fourth in a ten part series. Continued here…
FOR THE COMPLETE LIST OF 1001 REASONS CLICK HERE.
Kyle Becker blogs at RogueGovernment, and can be followed on Twitter as @RogueOperator1. He writes freelance for several publications, including American Thinker, Misfit Politics, and OwntheNarrative, and is a regular commentator on the late night talk shows at OTNN.
Ever since the Tea Party began in 2009, whenever there is discussion about a newly elected Republican everyone has the same question on their mind: Is this guy the real deal or is he more of the same? After all, the goal of most of the liberty groups that have formed over the last three years isn’t to elect Republicans, but to elect principled conservatives and libertarians.
Because of that, I was excited when I got the opportunity to interview one of the new Republicans elected in 2010 – Rep. Bobby Schilling of Illinois. Unfortunately, being the tech wizard that I am we had some technical difficulties with the video that couldn’t be fixed. So as much as I would love to post that, I have to settle for posting an article giving you my thoughts about the interview.
(In the interest of full disclosure, Rep. Schilling is not the Congressman for my district now, but he will be next term after redistricting. This is the first time I had the chance to speak with him, but I like the Congressman and will be voting for him in November.)
During our conversation, Rep. Schilling made one comment that gives us a great idea of where he stands – he mentioned individual rights. I can’t remember the last time I heard a member of Congress bring up that topic voluntarily but it needs to happen more often. When I asked him if there were people in the House of Representatives fighting for the Constitution he said there are some, but:
“We need some backup and we need it in a big way […and] we’ve got to get someone in [the White House] who is going to actually respect the Constitution of the United States and respect individual freedoms, which this guy (Obama) does not do.”
The other comment Rep. Schilling made that really stood out to me is that he chose to reject the Congressional health care and pension benefits. I did manage to some video of the speech he gave to the Rockford Tea Party just prior to our interview, so here is a 2 minute clip of the highlights (the part about rejecting Congressional benefits comes at 1:00):
In my mind, rejecting the Congressional health care and pension plans are among the most important actions he could take to demonstrate that he’s the type of person we want representing us. There are two reasons for this:
- It shows he doesn’t want to be a part of the elite political class in Washington D.C. One of the major problems we’ve faced for decades now is that we have a core group of politicians who believe that being in Congress entitles them to special treatment – that it makes them a little better than everyone else. If we are ever going to get this country moving in the right direction again, we need to have citizen legislators. This means no special privileges for members of Congress.
- It’s a fact of human nature that people will tend to do what’s in their own best interest before they worry about others. So the best way to ensure that our government doesn’t become oppressive is to make sure that politicians are live under the laws they pass. Because Rep. Schilling refuses to take the Congressional health care and pension, that means he will be personally affected by Obamacare and Social Security. That personal interest will give him an big incentive to work to fix those problems rather than using them as political footballs.
During my time with the Congressman, I didn’t do a “gotcha” test of his Constitutional knowledge – largely because that wouldn’t be fair and doesn’t really prove anything – so I can’t comment on how well he truly understands the document. He may know nothing or he may be a Constitutional scholar – I just don’t know.
However, it was clear to me that his respect for the Constitution was genuine and the he sincerely intends to defend it in the House of Representatives. This is critical because if we bring a Constitutional concern to Rep. Schilling’s attention, I believe we will have a sympathetic ear that is willing to listen. That’s not a small thing in an era where a recent Speaker of the House responded to questions about the Constitutionality of Obamacare simply by saying, “Are you serious?”
Several times during the interview Rep. Schilling stressed the fact that the Republican leadership in the House checks each bill to ensure that it is Constitution before it can go to the floor for discussion. We can certainly argue about the Republican leadership’s interpretation but the bottom line is that we have been successful in making the Constitution a factor in the legislative process again. We are beginning to move in the right direction and I believe that Rep. Schilling will help keep us on that path.
5/29/12 Anti-Sharia activist, blogger and media personality Pam Geller; Chris Hayes apologizes; Can Ted Cruz win his primary in Texas? Join us tonight at 10pmET, 7pm Pacific on the CDNews Network on Blogtalk Radio.
Update: Orange County Republican and candidate for County Supervisor Todd Spitzer will join us to discuss his race against Deborah Pauly and the ensuing controversy. 7:30Pacific
For those of you who may not know, the Beatles recorded a song called Taxman. Here are the lyrics for the song.
Let me tell you how it will be
There’s one for you, nineteen for me
‘Cause I’m the taxman, yeah, I’m the taxman
Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don’t take it all
‘Cause I’m the taxman, yeah I’m the taxman
If you drive a car, I’ll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I’ll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I’ll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I’ll tax your feet.
Don’t ask me what I want it for
If you don’t want to pay some more
‘Cause I’m the taxman, yeah, I’m the taxman
Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
‘Cause I’m the taxman, yeah, I’m the taxman
And you’re working for no one but me.
Does it, or does it not sound like a song that Obama would sing in the shower? I bet he probably does. I can just picture President Obama leading Pelosi, Reed and the rest of the Democratic Party at the convention, making this their theme song. After all, we all know that the Democratic Party is the tax and spend party.
Even with a 16 trillion national debt, the Democrats keep on insisting that we should raise taxes and spend more money. I would like to quote Charlie Brown here “Good Grief.” Will they ever learn? Today’s Democratic party defies all logic, they want to keep taking more and more money out of the economy by raising taxes and waste it on idiotic projects like Solyndra. I am no economist, in fact I barely made it out of high school, but it just seems so simple to me. Low taxes means more money in people’s pockets, if there is more money in people’s pockets, they spend more, when they spend more, they feed the economy, when they feed the economy, the economy grows, is that so hard to understand.
Nevertheless, I will tell you the truth, I am afraid to put more money in the hands of the Democrats, because they will only put it towards liberal policies that are hurting our society. What scares me the most, is that they truly think they are doing good, when all they are doing is hurting America with their liberal policies.
I think we have to be fair though, Obama had no experience or qualifications for the job he now holds, I mean after all, the only thing he did was hand out pamphlets to people as a community organizer, so we have to cut him a little slack. Now as president, he seems to think that the world revolves around him and that he has the right to take money from who he chooses and give it to whom he thinks deserves it. It seems only he has the right to say what is fair for the rest of us. Which brings me to Obama’s second favorite Beatle song,
I Me Mine.
This is one man’s opinion
Over the last three years, we have heard some people in our country talk incessantly about wealthy people needing to pay their so-called fair share. But, what really is our Fair Share?
In The United States Constitution, our Founders wrote these words:
Article 1, Section 2, Clause 3:
“Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers…”
Article 1, Section 9, Clause 4:
“No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census…”
Our Founders, when creating The U.S. Constitution, in Philadelphia, in 1787, largely agreed that, all direct taxation should be in direct proportion to our Representation, in The House of Representatives, in Congress; as it only stood to reason that, no one should be taxed without having proper Representation; neither should they have considerable Representation, if their requisite, or proportional, amount of taxes were not paid to The Federal Government.
Below, are some words, by two men, who actually participated in those debates:
With the massive death toll continuing to rise in Syria, the Obama administration seems hesitant to even mention Syria or the use of military force as an option to end the massacres in the middle-eastern country. With Americans war-weary from the last decade of combat over seas, because many military men and women who have sacrificed their lives for freedom and for America, the citizens of this nation are just as hesitant to deal with another conflict anywhere else in the world. The Obama administration seems to have a wobbly foreign policy stance on when America should or should not intervene. It was the policy of the Obama administration to step in during Libya and Uganda, yet with around 9,000 dead already in Syria, the Obama administration seems weak on whether they are actually strong on foreign policy. With both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars winding down, which President Obama said he would try and accomplish in his first term as President, even though that was already arranged by the Bush administration. President Obama does not want another conflict, which could hurt his re-election chances. War would not do well to strengthen his base support of voters at this time during the election process.
The Romney camp is in just as a tough camp for many of the reasons that I have already laid out. America does not want another conflict that does not really have anything to do with our national interests. However, if Romney starts to go on the offensive, which the Obama administration is most likely waiting for, so that they can just try and paint Romney as another war hungry Republican. Mitt Romney could also capitalize on the lack of leadership that President Obama has shown in this conflict in Syria, IF he plays it correctly and makes the case of consistency and lack of leadership, and not of America needing another war. If Mitt Romney ties President Obama’s lack of leadership on the economy, he could use it as an example to show that he not only lacks leadership on the economy, but as well as foreign policy.
Each Presidential camp has a tough choice to make, President Obama, has really only one case to make if he begins to talk about it, and that is, why would should intervene. As I said earlier, Mitt Romney must play his cards correctly or it could be a major disadvantage to his campaign. If the middle east continues to get worse, President Obama will have a tough time avoiding the issue all together. If the Syrian government continues to slaughter its people along with Egypt working toward and election that could bring about the rise of the new Ottoman Empire, known as the Muslim Brotherhood, that could sink the Obama camp, if Romney plays it correctly.
President Obama, has said many times publicly that the Syrian President Assad, can either; “lead [the] transition or get out of the way.” President Obama speaking out about how terrible this slaughter is in Syria, does nothing if he is not willing to back up his words. The more he speaks and does nothing the weaker he looks to the rest of the world. All Bark and No Bite. Maybe Libya and Uganda were only undertaken because one: President Obama was able to “lead from behind” and not risk much of American assets, and two: election was not right around corner as it is right now.
Whatever the case may be, Mitt Romney, needs to come out strong and fast with an articulate message of his leadership qualities and how he will have a strong and unwavering foreign policy. Something to draw another contrast between himself and President Obama. If not Syria could be a major election issue, if Mitt Romney does not strike first.
With all of the fun things Americans can do on a long weekend, why spend 2-3 hours dealing with traffic, parking, dealing with crowds and getting a decent spot just to watch some people in military uniform march by? How fun is that?
As odd as it might seem, the parade isn’t for, or about, you. It’s not even about those old and young, men and women marching down one of your streets. The parade is about those that most deserve the celebration, but having died in service to this great nation, are unable to attend.
They would be glad to deal with a terrible parking spot, downtown traffic and hordes of people crammed together, but they can’t.
Those who have served are likely already attending or doing private memorials at the headstones of friends long lost. The families of the fallen likely have their own Memorial Day schedules.
For the rest, maybe you had a health condition that kept you from serving. Perhaps you objected to the current administration’s use of the armed forces or just got too busy to consider the service. It doesn’t matter. There are many reasons that perhaps you didn’t serve – here’s your chance.
It’s Monday. Your boss most-likely already gave you the whole day off. Using half of it to honor the fallen is not too much to ask – not even close. Find a Memorial Day event and just show up.. that’s all. You don’t have to train, give up years of your life, be sent to God-forsaken places and face a hail of bullets. It also.. won’t kill you.
What it might do, is put a smile on the face of that vet in uniform marching down the street. It might brighten a widow’s day to see so many Americans honoring her lost husband. It might make that Father of a fallen son or daughter just a bit prouder knowing that the people of this country really do understand what his first born child gave so that they could attend .. a parade.
Isn’t just two or three hours of your full day off worth that?
As we grill burgers, smoke brisket and otherwise enjoy a day of relaxation, take a moment and remember those that volunteered themselves to protect this great nation.
They are not mercenaries – the paycheck isn’t the reason the volunteered or why they fight. They are performing their duties as ordered and are appreciated, by “a grateful nation.”
Make this Memorial Day and every day one of service for you. Remember them, honor them, salute them and if you are given the opportunity … thank them – eye to eye.
Every Memorial Day is one that I remember with certain emotion. When I joined the United States Army, I was 21 years old. My recruiter picked me up from my house around 4:30am in the morning. He hauled me off to the Military Entrance Processing Station(MEPS). That day, changed my life forever. It was September 11th 2001, I was upstairs in the building filling out paperwork, the room was filled with many other recruits for every branch. All of a sudden we heard military personnel running around saying that the twin towers were just attacked, now I was thinking that this was just a joke to try and scare us, to see who would actually complete their recruitment paperwork. So, upon finishing my paperwork, I walked downstairs, I looked at the big screen TV, and there were the two towers, on fire, smoke billowing from them. My reaction was to call my mother, I told her; “Looks like I’m going to war,” she had not even heard the news yet. As the military staff rushed around to finish signing everyone up and close down the station, I soon realized that I was the only one to take the Oath that day. Even the woman who swore me in, said something along the same lines. I took the Oath, and was rushed out of the building. The paperwork I had signed, was for the delayed entry program. October soon rolled around, Again, I was hauled off to the Atlanta airport, then flown to Fort Benning , GA. My life had changed for ever.
After six months or so of infantry school training, I was assigned to Fort Campbell, KY, 101st Airborne Division. Upon my arrival, there was one soldier, Justin Garvey, soon became my mentor and friend. He taught me how to shine my boots, press my uniform and the more refined details of how to be a soldier. He was kind enough to take me under his wing and take care of me right after basic training. This man, helped shaped my military life. Along with sharing lessons about boot shining, we would share a beer after work sometimes, a little brew to unwind after the work day.
Thinking I would be going to Afghanistan soon after my arrival to Fort Campbell, which I was mistaken. I had missed the last deployment to the combat zone by a few weeks I believe. I tried to transfer to 2nd battalion, however, they only took a few, I was not able to make that shipment. Even though I had no idea, what combat was like, I felt the need that I must do more for my country, just being there was not enough.
Months later, the rest of the unit would return home from Afghanistan, I felt like I had not done enough, being back home in the “rear with the gear” was not something I wanted to be known for, even though it was out of my control. I was just a private. Over the next 2 years, I would create a bond with my platoon and fellow soldiers that cannot be quantified with words. The brotherhood, that you create among men through days and nights of training, and one day combat is something that can never be taken from you.
Over the course of those two years, I also continued to hold a strong friendship with now, Sergeant Garvey. We were not in the same company, so it was difficult to hang out at during the work day, however he lived down the street from me, so I would be able to stop over after work and when I had free time to visit for a beer or two. He was a true friend and mentor to me. He eventually got married, to a woman who I only met a few times, and seemed to be a wonderful woman. They would end up purchasing the house that I used to visit him in. The reason, that my visits slowed down was due to the fact of the Iraq war. We were training for this conflict without really knowing we were going to actually be deployed, even though we had speculation.
I believe we finally deployed from Fort Campbell, KY on February 28th 2003. We would sit in Kuwait for for a few weeks, until the call to cross the border would come. We drove from Kuwait to our position in Iraq, that took 3 days or so. That is when I realized how useless the U.N really was. As we drove across the border of Kuwait and Iraq, we passed a U.N building with soldiers standing outside, just watching the real soldiers go to war. Why our country even works with the U.N, I will never know.
Sergeant Garvey and I were still in separate companies, I never got to say goodbye to him, I never got to thank him for everything that he taught me, I will never get to tell him, how he is still a huge part of my life to this day. One day, leaving the fort that our battalion was staying in, he and Sergeant Jordan were leaving in a Humvee. We did not have armored Humvees at this time. The RPG that struck their Humvee, would not have been stopped by the armor anyways. It destroyed the vehicle, Sergeant Garvey from what I understand and Sergeant Jordan, were both killed instantly. We had sandbags to covered on the bottom of our vehicles to protect us from IEDs.
I would only learn of my buddies death by radio, when we were told of the attack, his name was told to me as Gerbey, or something along those lines. I asked if it was him, at the time I was told it was not. Later on, I would be on guard, and unable to attend the memorial for him. I never got to say goodbye. Today, a day of pride, a sad of sorrow, a day for Heroes. Years later, I still feel the pain of his death, I cannot imagine what his family feels on this day. My hope is that maybe, they will read this and know that he made a wonderful impact on my life. I have two tattoos on my body, so that way people ask, what they are for. I have a Japanese tattoo for Pride on the left side of my neck, which then leads people to ask what it means, I tell them, Pride in my country, Pride in the United States Army, then I can tell them about my friend and mentor Sergeant Justin Garvey. I just hope that I live up to his sacrifice, he gave his life, just as many other men and women of the military have since the birth of this nation. I hope I live up to that standard they set forth by my actions. I hope that I continue to serve my nation, that is worthy of that sacrifice.
For many years, I woke up each and every day wishing and wondering why I had not died myself. Sometimes I still wonder, not as often, but I know that God has other plans for me, or things would be different. To all our men and women who have given the highest price this nation will ever know. I thank you, May God Bless you and your family. Thank you Justin for everything that you have done for me, Thank you for your sacrifice. I hope that my actions continue to honor your life as soldier. May God Bless America.
Originally published May 30, 2011 Today is Memorial Day. Today is the day we honor our fallen military heroes, those who have given their lives in service of freedom. Not just any freedom. American freedom, surely the best, the most coveted, most free freedom in all the world. In today’s world of reality t.v. stars, Youtube and social media that measures value by the number of “friends” one can accumulate, it is good to stop and remember, however briefly, that there are those out there who thought about more than just themselves. They had an inspired understanding of just how special America is in the world. They saw that the freedom and opportunity America had to offer her people was also the very thing that made her vulnerable to attack from those who are, at heart, the enemies of freedom. They knew that someone had to stand up and protect that freedom, and they volunteered their own lives in order to be that someone. They paid the highest price imaginable, and inspired countless others to do the same. Some of those others are alive today. They continue to walk the wall to keep people they’ve never met or even seen safe from oppression. They are willing to make that ultimate sacrifice. They are a special breed, a unique type of human being and we thank them today – those that are gone and those that still walk the wall. We thank them because they have sacrificed so much more than is even fathomable. Not just their own lives and bodies. They have given so much more than that. They have sacrificed their family’s peace of mind, their own, and sometimes their sanity. They have sacrificed birthdays and being-born days, weddings and funerals, graduations, engagements, family reunions; Christmases and holy days, first home-runs, first dance recitals, first kisses and first heartbreaks; beach days, rainy days, lazy days, honeymoons, date nights, Superbowls and World Series’. They’ve sacrificed the smell of home, favorite arm chairs and beloved pets; hot dogs and steak, grilling and fireworks, hurried breakfasts and lingering family dinners; smiles, tears, hugs and kisses and the comforting arms of a sweetheart after a long, tense day. They’ve sacrificed in ways that cannot be measured or seen, in ways we ordinary citizens will never truly fathom. There are no proper words to express gratitude for such selflessness, yet Memorial Day is a day we try. We try to say ‘Thank you, you are the greatest among us. Thank you.’ Happy Memorial Day to all of our heroes, fallen and standing. May God bless you all, and may God bless America.
crossposted at kiradavis.net
In reflecting over the Memorial Day Holiday, perhaps one might take the time to consider our first war, our revolution, and ponder the reason not only for that action, but for so many which came after. If freedom and individual liberty is our cause, how does our current government and it’s head compare to that of the late 18th century? The Declaration of Independence will provide guidance.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. – That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, – That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. ”
In drafting this doctrine of governing philosophy, Thomas Jefferson was speaking of the right for each man and woman to own the fruits of their own labor, to have and to hold their own property and to be secure in that property and their papers; to live their lives unmolested. He states clearly in this document, that the purpose of government is only to defend these rights and to secure the people from foreign enemies. When its government goes beyond these purposes, and begins to use its power to violate the rights of individuals to their property, safety and freedom, it is time for that government to be dissolved and reformed. This dissolution may be in the form of reorganization, or whenever possible by replacement of those in power with those who will not abuse the form of government already in place.
If a man were to point a gun at another man’s head and take from him a third to half of his salary, no matter what the reason, that man would be a criminal guilty of theft. When a government does the same thing for any purpose other than providing for the common defense, for the judiciary and the police, it is no less a crime. When a government puts it yet unborn citizens in debt for any purpose, it is stealing the fruits of their future labor with no consent from them whatever. This is an abomination. It is indentured servitude foisted upon our children. It is selling them into slavery. When it is done solely to insure that those in power can be secure in their future power, and cement themselves into such positions in perpetuity, it is beyond time for those with moral conscience to rise and shout “This will not stand!”
What grievances propelled those early patriots, those lovers of freedom and independence to put their lives at risk to secure their rights not just for themselves alone but for their posterity, for us?
Jefferson went on to list them, and many of those grievances apply as clearly today as they did in 1776.
“The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.”
“He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.”
Our current President has refused to defend the Defense of Marriage Act. He has refused to enforce our immigration laws. His agents have repeatedly refused to comply with lawful subpoenas. He has refused to seek approval from congress for military actions in Libya and Yemen and he has refused to purge the voter registration roles of ineligible voters.
“He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.”
Our current President, through his “Department of Justice” has filed suit against State after State to thwart their legislatures in their attempts to secure their own borders and citizenry, and from insuring their polling places against fraud.
“He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.”
From Car Czars who put vast numbers of automobile dealers out of business, to Fish and Wildlife agents who, without charge or remuneration, confiscate inventory from guitar manufacturers, to EPA regulators who shut down power plants, our President has used his appointed agents to harass, hinder and intimidate all manner of business people and land owners, depriving them of their fortunes, property, and livelihoods.
“He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power. ”
Our current President has refused to seek approval from the people’s elected representatives to send our troops into harm’s way, preferring to seek council from the United Nations – a body unaccountable to the citizens of the United States.
“He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation: ”
Our President is attempting to subject our Navy and Merchant Marines, as well as our communications infrastructure to the will of the United Nations, forsaking our sovereignty.
“For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:”
By continuing to increase the public debt at a record pace this President is imposing a crushing tax burden on those yet to be born who are without any voice or suffrage whatsoever in the matter.
“For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:”
American citizens may now be executed or detained without benefit of trial or charge merely for the suspicion of terrorism. The President is proud of his “Kill List” of assassination targets.
“For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighboring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies”
By co-operating with the Mexican Drug Cartels and supplying them with arms this Government led by our President has turned the southwest into a lawless region. By refusing to secure our border he is allowing all manner of criminals and their poisons to freely enter our nation and injure our citizens.
“For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:”
“For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.”
By executive order after executive order and through his regulators, this President has sought to circumvent the will of Congress and of the people. He has shown little or no regard for our constitution and no respect for the limits on his power.
“He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.”
By not securing our borders and by encouraging violent revolt in other nations, our President has made our border regions much less secure and put our nation at risk.
Those early patriots believed that man’s dignity, prosperity, and honor were based in the idea that each person is responsible for themselves. They believed that everyone had the right to the fruits of their own labor and that a great nation could be built on the principal of citizens trading freely and openly with each other, value for value. They put their lives on the line for these beliefs. They fought and died for them. They refused to be indentured servants to the British Crown, and while it is true that many of them wished to continue the British practice of slave owning, many thought it abhorrent, and so constituted their government in such a way as to make the abolition of the practice likely.
They also knew that in order for this new system of governance to work, it would require the honesty and integrity of its citizens and of its elected representatives.
It is then with great sadness that we witness the current administration’s utter lack of devotion to truth telling. We witness speech after speech filled with misleading and outright false information. We watch our news media perpetrating these falsehoods, and we watch our popular culture encourage our youth through advertising and entertainment media, to be dishonest and to view dishonesty and lack of openness and personal integrity as a natural part of life.
Those of us who have moral conviction, those of us who honor truth, those with great respect for the principals of duty, liberty, personal responsibility, private property, ingenuity, reason and logic, those of us who remember what it was like to be proud of this great nation, those of us who are able to admit our faults, learn from our mistakes and move on toward better actions, it is time for us to stand up, to make ourselves heard.
It is time to find among us those rare few who will exercise these principals, and elect them to office. It is time for us to say enough! It is time to rid ourselves of those scoundrels in Washington and in our State Houses who cry “public good” while acting solely upon the good of themselves and their campaign contributors. If we value our nation at all, if we see that the innovation of the last two hundred years, surpassing in that short time the innovation of millennia before, was born of the principals of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, then the time is now, the hour is short, and this may be our last chance!
Talk to your friends, your neighbors, to anyone who will listen. Now is the time to elect to office persons of reason, of honesty and integrity. Now is the time to eject from office, with extreme prejudice, those who steal from us our hard earned wages, the profits from innovation, risk and great effort, the future wages of our children! Now is the time to say to them, no! You may have no more of our dollars to throw down the waste pipe of even one more “green” project of your cronies. No more of our dollars to throw yourselves lavish parties, and to reward your constituents for their lack of ambition. We will no longer allow you to waste our sweat ensuring our children learn less and less how to think for themselves. We will not continue to allow you to indoctrinate them into whatever sewer of depravity any organized voting block can come up with. No longer will we allow you to teach our youth to be dependent upon government for their existence!
Stand and be counted fellow patriots. Stand at the ballot box, stand at your civic group, stand at your PTA meeting, stand at your union hall. Stand up wherever people are gathered together. Do not fear them, your fear is what they count on. Laugh when they paint you as racist, cheer when they call you heartless. Fear and ridicule are the only weapons they have, for now. So do not fear them!
But if we do not stand, if we do not do it now, the time will come when their weapons will be much more lethal, and those weapons will be turned against us!
cross-posted to Yahoo Voices