Mitt Romney (Really) Doesn’t Have That Much Money
Romney’s “2 Cadillacs” and “my friends own NASCAR teams” stories might seem like old news now, but if he gets the GOP’s nod, you can bet that stories about his wealth will begin to circulate again in preparation for this fall’s election. Since 80% of Conservatives seem to think he’s going to win the nomination (and he has the largest amount of delegates), this piece will focus on some the criticisms about Romney’s wealth.
Romney Doesn’t really have that much money.
As unbelievable as that statement sounds, it’s very much true. Mitt Romney is said to be worth anywhere between $190-$250 Million. And as hard as it is to believe, that’s just not very much dough.
To put it in perspective, let’s look at how much money some other famous people happen to be worth.
1. Peyton Manning has a net worth of $115 Million (about half of what Romney is said to be worth)
2. Justin Bieber has made $105 Million in just about the same amount of time it takes to complete high school.
3. Gossip blogger, Perez Hilton is worth $30 Million. Let that sink in for a minute… And if you don’t know who Perez Hilton is, consider yourself blessed.
4. Michael Bloomberg, a lowly mayor (even if he is mayor of the USA’s largest city), is worth $19 Billion (with a “B”). So if politicians aren’t supposed to be wealthy, somebody should let him know.
5. But to put things into even better perspective, Allen Iverson has made (and spent) about $200 Million between his NBA salary and his Reebok endorsements. So, if a basketball player is allowed to earn, in fourteen years, what Mitt Romney has earned over the course of his 65 year lifetime, then there seems to be little reason to begrudge the former governor for buying a couple of Cadillacs. And if it makes you feel any better, you should know that Allen Iverson’s $400,000 Lamborghini is worth about 8 of what Mrs. Romney’s Cadillac’s are believed to have cost.
And this is just “classic Democrats”. Remember when Barack Obama was a candidate for the highest office in the land? As a candidate, he considered George W. Bush’s debt of $4 Trillion to be “unpatriotic”, a debt that was amassed over 8 years. But when President Obama racked up $4 Trillion of debt in only three years, he decided to have Tom Hanks narrate a documentary talking about how heroic our current president is. Democrats will hammer Republicans for their sins, then commit the SAME sin, only twice as worse, and then applaud themselves. And on top of that, they get the media to tell everybody that they’re doing a good job. …for doing the SAME thing they just hammered Republicans for.
This is the same party who ran the richest president of all time, John F. Kennedy. JFK was said to be worth $1 Billion (again, with a “B”), and his successor, Lyndon Johnson, was also said to be worth $98 Million. These figures were published on MSNBC’s website, of all places, and they were adjusted for 2010 dollars. But again, they’ll have you believe that Mitt Romney, and by extension, the Republican Party are both out of touch. Furthermore, did you know that William Jefferson Clinton is said to be worth $38 Million? And last but not least, Jane Harman, a Democrat congresswoman from California who recently resigned, is said be worth between $150 Million and $430 Million. From the looks of things, Democrats only think that being a rich politician is bad if it’s a REPUBLICAN who is the rich politician.
The hypocrisy is not only staggering, but it needs to be pointed out on a daily basis, if Republicans ever want to dispel the meme that they are all out-of-touch and 1 percenters.
So in a world where basketball players and teenage kids have earned as much (or half as much) as Mitt Romney has, and in a world where Liberal politicians can easily outspend him, it’s hard to see the outrage over Romney’s wealth as being anything genuine. Romney’s real crime isn’t that he’s amassed money, it’s that he’s been unable to control the narrative.