Chevy Volt: A Car Before Its Time?

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Chevy Volt: A Car Before Its Time?”.

Tags: , , ,

1. DJ Redman says:

Check this tidbit out about EV charging stations:

I researched 15 articles about them, and not one single thing is EVER mentioned about who pick up the tab after all these tax dollars are used to push this garbage onto the public, nor do they ever state just what the “fee” will be to charge them. Oh but that one above does mention that businesses will be able to share in the “profits” from the user fees.

• Teresa says:

Thanks for that website! That is a whole ‘nother issue… I thought about it when I took the picture of the charging station. Actually, I was wondering if any of the stations at this particular store had ever been used.

2. Rebecca says:

It’s too bad the Volt is so much more…. also. Some have recommended that I watch this documentary called “Who Killed the Electric Car?” to judge whether it is the technology that is costly, or the idea itself.

• DJ Redman says:

The technology has been around since the 19th century. It is just that electric cars can not compete with good, comfortable, affordable fuel-burning cars. I,m in Florida, and nobody down here spending a good amount of time in their car goes without AC. To run a car AC really takes some juice, even more than running a heater for half the year up North. The main problem with the Volt is that very few owners of one ( if you can find one) will be honest about the drawbacks and just what kind of mileage they can get from one charge while driving around comfortably, IMO. They started out with a lie to market the Volt also. It was deemed an “electric car” yet comes with a 9 gallon gas tank. That makes it a hybrid, period. Manufacture a good solid, comfortable car at an affordable price and they will sell like hotcakes without millions of dollars of fake advertising.

• Teresa says:

My husband had a friend who argued that the Volt was not a hybrid as I used for my example. I don’t know what you should call a car that uses a gas back-up other than a hybrid. No doubt, there are some who will find the limited electric range of the Volt within their travel desires. My guess, not too many here in the Phoenix area, especially as we, like you in FL run the A/C most of the time.

3. DJ Redman says:

Teresa has certainly done her homework here,resulting in some pretty realistic numbers on the cost of the Volt and comparisons to other “hybrids.” 2 observations: The Volt cost is for 12k a year driving- that may be at the low end of the working class Americans yearly mileage driven. Also I find it difficult to believe the yearly total cost for electricity to charge it. It takes a 10 hour charge, all night long, and charging those huge batteries takes a lot of juice.
    Of course under “ideal conditions” it may squeak out that kind of mileage per charge- but ( as noted below graph) AC, heat, defrost,wipers, headlights, radio etc reduce mileage. Pretty miserable driving without using those battery-draining things on the list there.

Personally, while it is aways best IMO, to buy American, the Volt is at the bottom of my preferences on the list. I agree that the 2 yr old Prius would be the best bang for your buck.

*Note: I hear that relacing the batteries on a Volt is real wallet-busting experience, yet my neighbor just replaced the batteries on his 4 yr old Prius for less than $300 bucks. ( his is still under the 10 year warranty period) The Prius batteries are about $2500- http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/cpifoodandexpenditures/consumerpriceindex.htm

The Volt’s batteries warranty are 8 year/ 100,000 miles.

• Teresa says:

Thank you for your comments and observations. I agree that 12,000 miles is low. The government shows that the average for working age is about 15,000.http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm Still, just thinking of my immediate family in the Phoenix area, more than half drive 20-30 miles each way to work. As a commuter car, the Volt appears aimed at the professional who drives 10-20 miles or less each day.

I also found an interesting comparison between the Volt and the Cruze where they calculate it would take 200,000 miles before the Volt is cost effective. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/1106_2011_chevrolet_volt_arrival/

The battery replacement cost is also an interesting issue. Because both Chevrolet and Toyota offer warranties of 8 years/100,000 miles I did not include these costs. I did see, as you listed, the price for the Prius and though I couldn’t find resources, many hope Chevy will be in that range. Initially the Volt battery was $8,000.

The charging cost estimates came from the Edmunds.com website. Cost of electricity varies widely across the country. In our area many of us also have rates based on time of day usage.

I also share your ideal of buying American and come from a long line of GM car owners. In our family a mixed marriage is if one marries a Ford owner. :)

• DJ Redman says:

Thanks for the reply Terese. :o) Long line of Chevy-owners here in this family too. Make that EX-Chevy-lovers. Never thought I,d see the day when we would end up rooting for Ford Motor Company (our nemesis for decades) When the government stole long term investors shares in GM, (for pennies on the dollar) only to give them to the UAW, and then GM not paying a penny in taxes in 2011 while falsely claiming to have made record profits, I had to say no more GM support from me, sadly enough. Let any company in America avoid $3 billion in taxes in 2011, and they would show record profits too, regardless of their performance.

• Teresa says:

Ha ha! Yes, the old “Fix Or Repair Daily” acronym. We do admire Ford for not taking the bailouts. Had a friend who worked for the company and saw the restructuring they went through two years before GM issues became public.