At What Point is Revolution Acceptable?
“When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.” The Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776
When is appropriate to separate yourself from the current tyrannous government of your own country, band with those people who are like minded as yourself, and create a new government that is responsive to your rights, needs and desires? What would be the consequences of the rebellion it would take to necessarily rid yourselves of that government and claim for yourself the rights established for you by almighty God? And, are you willing to pay the cost for that rebellion?
These are some of the questions I and many of my conservative and libertarian friends have been asking ourselves over the last three years of the Barack Obama presidency. The short answer is, only after long suffering the offences of that government and after carefully weighing all of the consequences. We’ve seen revolutionary movements both from the Tea Party and from the Occupy crowds, both with their different goals. We’ve seen the tactics of the different groups, the slogans and speeches. The question I have for all of us who love this country is, what is a full-fledged rebellion going to look like? Is this the time? What do we mean by rebellion?
This column might well put me on the radar of Homeland Security, but I don’t care. These issues need to be explored and I might as well be the one to do it. Besides, I’m probably already on the DHS list anyway since I’m a white conservative male who has served in the military, so, what the heck!
Let me just start out by saying that I do not support the physical usurpation of the president or congress at this point. It may come to that someday, but not yet. We have a Constitution and federal laws and we should abide by them as long as possible. So what I recommend is the continuation of what is already going on, a peaceful revolution that is respectful of human rights and dignity and in keeping with our national laws and framework. We don’t want to be like Lybia, Syria or Egypt with their violence in the streets.
What does that mean? Well, we have a process that we can use to choose our leaders and to fire them if they fail to conduct themselves according to our laws and the will of the people. We have an election coming up this year. Hopefully, those of us who are like minded will go to the polls and caucuses and vote our consciences and remove Barak Obama and people of his ilk and replace them with people who love the constitution and what America stands for. We are angry, but there are appropriate ways to express that anger. So, pull a lever, not a trigger.
The Founders, (I like to call them that since I feel there were founding mothers who worked behind the scenes, not just the crusty white men in wigs attending the constitutional conventions) understood that they were legally obligated to obey the laws of England and the King and they were very hesitant in the beginning to throw off those laws, despite all the infractions of conscience imposed on them by the King. They tried repeatedly to appeal to King George of England in hopes that they could convince him to change his ways and respect the rights of his English colonists in America. They spell out the many infractions and their grievances to the monarch in the Declaration, so read it yourself. After a long hard fight through correspondence, the Founders collectively decided that they had had enough. Rebellion was the only option. This was not an easy choice for them and they were very cognizant of the ramifications. They expected to die by hanging if their revolution failed. There would be blood in the streets regardless, which is what none of them wanted but which they were resigned to. Their sentiment was reflected in the last phrase of the first founding document, the Declaration of Independence.
“That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.”
It would be a shame to let the sacrifice of the Founders go to waste if the pursuit of what they fought for resulted in more bloodshed, even while they gave us the legal pathway to reaffirm and restore the rights they secured for us.
It is necessary for us, I think, to be like the Founders and to tick off all the offenses this government has made against the people, just as the Founders did in the Declaration so that we know what we are talking about and what we are fighting for. I am going to list a few of those below. And remember, it is not just Barack Obama we are opposed to here; it is all the lefty loons out there in our government who have high jacked our country and imposed their will on the rest of us. They exist in every state and in every branch of government, from the legislature, to the executive to the judicial branch. They even exist in the Supreme Court, I give you justice Ginsburg as a perfect example. So, it is not about the president’s race or ethnicity. Because, the people we are fighting against are not all of one nationality or ethnicity, but share a common ideology, the argument that this fight is about one man’s race is totally fallacious.
So here then are my examples about what this administration has done to offend mainstream America and why he has to go. He (they) has (have):
- Usurped the will of the people by imposing a massive health care law that stifles the free market and individual choices
- Required all citizens to buy health insurance whether it is their will to or not, or pay a fine
- Required religious institutions to provide services such as contraception, abortion and sterilization contrary to their religious belief, thus violating the right of freedom of religion
- Stifled the voices of military chaplains by ordering them not to read a letter of protest to their congregants in opposition of the health care mandate
- Attempted to bypass the laws of the land through onerous regulations to try to deteriorate the right of citizens to keep and bear arms
- Installed officers into the government, called Czars, who are totally unaccountable to the congress and the will of the people thus violating the sovereign right of representation of the people
- Declined to uphold the laws already on the books protecting the nations borders from illegal aliens, human traffickers, drug cartels and terrorists
- Actively sought to undermine the power of the states, i.e. Arizona to protect their sovereignty at the border through harassing lawsuits
- Put environmental laws protecting wild life ahead of national sovereignty thus creating a hedge on the border where border agents and the military are unable to go and therefore unable to defend against those who cross the border illegally
- Put the economic benefit and security of other nations ahead of that of the United States by denying the right to obtain domestic sources of energy at home while at the same time permitting that right to foreign powers, i.e. Brazil and Venezuela.
- Used public funds and tax payer dollars to bail out failed green energy corporations, car companies and banks, against the will of the majority of people and expanding the national debt.
- Governed by fiat rather than going through congress, issuing executive orders in order to bypass the will of elected officials and the people.
- Sent the nation to war with foreign powers without the consent of congress, with no declaration of war, without the will of the people (i.e. Lybia)
- Defied the will of the people in certain states in regard to the rights of gays to marry by imposing their will on those states by judicial degree
This list is a short one, and there are potentially many more examples of what the left has done to us. I should note that some of these began under a previous administration. Many object to the so called Patriot Act and the ability of any administration now to snatch American citizens off the streets and hold them indefinitely. This has been tried before by previous administrations and is a frightening prospect. We should note here that we who are constitutionalists oppose politicians of any party for increasing the size and scope of government while trampling the rights of people. I give you the TSA.
If there are more points I have neglected to add here, I encourage the reader to add them in their comments. I’m sure the very intelligent fans of conservativedailynews.com can think of a few.
If you get nothing else out of this column, then get this! We have a process whereby we can change the course of our country without violence. We should use it. Don’t be like the Occupy crowd. They’re disgusting! Pull a lever, not a trigger. Resist the temptation to join armed militias. Instead join coalitions who meet in public places to protest, go door to door campaigning for constitutionally minded candidates, attend your caucuses and primaries, respect the rights of people who disagree, vote your conscience.
This is our America, we have the right to keep it.