The Department of Defense maintains a system for characterizing terrorist threats to the United States or military facilities. The system triggers an appropriate response by security agencies according to the condition.
The force protection conditions (FPCONS) are:
- Normal – A situation of no current terrorist activity. The only security forces needed are enough to stop the everyday criminal, similar to civilian police forces.
- Alpha – There is a small and general terrorist activity that is not predictable.
- Bravo – Situation with somewhat predictable terrorist threat.
- Charlie – Imminent terrorist action
- Delta – Terrorist attack is occurring or has just occurred.