Al Gore’s Global Warming scam just took a right hook in the chin – again. This time the blow comes from internationally renowned Dr. Harold Lewis, 87, Emeritus Professor of Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Dr. Lewis just submitted his resignation from the American Physical Society to Dr. Curtis G. Callan Jr. of Princeton University, who serves currently as the President of the American Physical Society.
Dr. Lewis skewers the Global Warming movement for what it is – a giant scam. Dr. Lewis’ comments, sent to Callan on October 8, 2010, so utterly destroy the Al Gores of the world that his words have become newsworthy throughout the world. Here is his resignation letter; in it’s entirely, with one particular paragraph highlighted in bold for your edification:
When I first joined the American Physical Society sixty-seven years ago it was much smaller, much gentler, and as yet uncorrupted by the money flood (a threat against which Dwight Eisenhower warned a half-century ago). Indeed, the choice of physics as a profession was then a guarantor of a life of poverty and abstinence—it was World War II that changed all that. The prospect of worldly gain drove few physicists. As recently as thirty-five years ago, when I chaired the first APS study of a contentious social/scientific issue, The Reactor Safety Study, though there were zealots aplenty on the outside there was no hint of inordinate pressure on us as physicists.
We were therefore able to produce what I believe was and is an honest appraisal of the situation at that time. We were further enabled by the presence of an oversight committee consisting of Pief Panofsky, Vicki Weisskopf, and Hans Bethe, all towering physicists beyond reproach. I was proud of what we did in a charged atmosphere. In the end the oversight committee, in its report to the APS President, noted the complete independence in which we did the job, and predicted that the report would be attacked from both sides. What greater tribute could there be?
How different it is now. The giants no longer walk the earth, and the money flood has become the raison d’être of much physics research, the vital sustenance of much more, and it provides the support for untold numbers of professional jobs. For reasons that will soon become clear my former pride at being an APS Fellow all these years has been turned into shame, and I am forced, with no pleasure at all, to offer you my resignation from the Society.
It is of course, the global warming scam, with the (literally) trillions of dollars driving it, that has corrupted so many scientists, and has carried APS before it like a rogue wave. It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Anyone who has the faintest doubt that this is so should force himself to read the ClimateGate documents, which lay it bare. (Montford’s book organizes the facts very well.) I don’t believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion. I would almost make that revulsion a definition of the word scientist.
So what has the APS, as an organization, done in the face of this challenge? It has accepted the corruption as the norm, and gone along with it. For example:
- About a year ago a few of us sent an e-mail on the subject to a fraction of the membership. APS ignored the issues, but the then President immediately launched a hostile investigation of where we got the e-mail addresses. In its better days, APS used to encourage discussion of important issues, and indeed the Constitution cites that as its principal purpose. No more. Everything that has been done in the last year has been designed to silence debate
- The appallingly tendentious APS statement on Climate Change was apparently written in a hurry by a few people over lunch, and is certainly not representative of the talents of APS members as I have long known them. So a few of us petitioned the Council to reconsider it. One of the outstanding marks of (in)distinction in the Statement was the poison word incontrovertible, which describes few items in physics, certainly not this one. In response APS appointed a secret committee that never met, never troubled to speak to any skeptics, yet endorsed the Statement in its entirety. (They did admit that the tone was a bit strong, but amazingly kept the poison word incontrovertible to describe the evidence, a position supported by no one.) In the end, the Council kept the original statement, word for word, but approved a far longer “explanatory” screed, admitting that there were uncertainties, but brushing them aside to give blanket approval to the original. The original Statement, which still stands as the APS position, also contains what I consider pompous and asinine advice to all world governments, as if the APS were master of the universe. It is not, and I am embarrassed that our leaders seem to think it is. This is not fun and games, these are serious matters involving vast fractions of our national substance, and the reputation of the Society as a scientific society is at stake.
- In the interim the ClimateGate scandal broke into the news, and the machinations of the principal alarmists were revealed to the world. It was a fraud on a scale I have never seen, and I lack the words to describe its enormity. Effect on the APS position: none. None at all. This is not science; other forces are at work.
- So a few of us tried to bring science into the act (that is, after all, the alleged and historic purpose of APS), and collected the necessary 200+ signatures to bring to the Council a proposal for a Topical Group on Climate Science, thinking that open discussion of the scientific issues, in the best tradition of physics, would be beneficial to all, and also a contribution to the nation. I might note that it was not easy to collect the signatures, since you denied us the use of the APS membership list. We conformed in every way with the requirements of the APS Constitution, and described in great detail what we had in mind—simply to bring the subject into the open.<
- To our amazement, Constitution be damned, you declined to accept our petition, but instead used your own control of the mailing list to run a poll on the members’ interest in a TG on Climate and the Environment. You did ask the members if they would sign a petition to form a TG on your yet-to-be-defined subject, but provided no petition, and got lots of affirmative responses. (If you had asked about sex you would have gotten more expressions of interest.) There was of course no such petition or proposal, and you have now dropped the Environment part, so the whole matter is moot. (Any lawyer will tell you that you cannot collect signatures on a vague petition, and then fill in whatever you like.) The entire purpose of this exercise was to avoid your constitutional responsibility to take our petition to the Council.
- As of now you have formed still another secret and stacked committee to organize your own TG, simply ignoring our lawful petition.
APS management has gamed the problem from the beginning, to suppress serious conversation about the merits of the climate change claims. Do you wonder that I have lost confidence in the organization?
I do feel the need to add one note, and this is conjecture, since it is always risky to discuss other people’s motives. This scheming at APS HQ is so bizarre that there cannot be a simple explanation for it. Some have held that the physicists of today are not as smart as they used to be, but I don’t think that is an issue. I think it is the money, exactly what Eisenhower warned about a half-century ago. There are indeed trillions of dollars involved, to say nothing of the fame and glory (and frequent trips to exotic islands) that go with being a member of the club. Your own Physics Department (of which you are chairman) would lose millions a year if the global warming bubble burst. When Penn State absolved Mike Mann of wrongdoing, and the University of East Anglia did the same for Phil Jones, they cannot have been unaware of the financial penalty for doing otherwise. As the old saying goes, you don’t have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing. Since I am no philosopher, I’m not going to explore at just which point enlightened self-interest crosses the line into corruption, but a careful reading of the ClimateGate releases makes it clear that this is not an academic question.
I want no part of it, so please accept my resignation. APS no longer represents me, but I hope we are still friends.
Anthony Watts, a career meteorologist and President of IntelliWeather, is also now publicly critical of Al Gore and the Global Warming scan. Watts and Lewis represent some of the first scientists and meteorologists now coming out publicly against the Global Warming scam. Watts, describing himself on his web site, says “As you can see most of my work is in weather technology such as weather stations, weather data processing systems, and weather graphics creation and display. While I’m not a degreed climate scientist, I’ll point out that neither is Al Gore, and his specialty is presentation also.”
Watts then goes on to say, in a recent post, that “While Copenhagen and its excesses rage, a quiet revolution is starting. Indeed, not so quiet now. It looks like it is getting ugly inside with the public airing of the resignation of a very prominent member” who just happens to be Dr. Lewis.
Dr. Lewis has also previously gone postal against the perpetrators of Climate Gate.
I don’t believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion. I would almost make that revulsion a definition of the word scientist…In the interim the ClimateGate scandal broke into the news, and the machinations of the principal alarmists were revealed to the world. It was a fraud on a scale I have never seen, and I lack the words to describe its enormity. Effect on the APS position: none. None at all. This is not science; other forces are at work. – Dr. Hal Lewis
The resignation of Dr. Lewis is just the latest salvo in the ClimateGate war. A group of prominent scientists has asked the American Physical Society to rescind its political statement in support of climate Change. The following letter was signed by Bob Austin, Professor of Physics, Princeton; Hal Lewis, emeritus Professor of Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara; Will Happer, Professor Physics, Princeton; Larry Could, Professor of Physics, Hartford; and Roger Cohen, former Manager, Strategic Planning, ExxonMobil.
Dear fellow member of the American Physical Society:
This is a matter of great importance to the integrity of the Society. It is being sent to a random fraction of the membership, so we hope you will pass it on.
By now everyone has heard of what has come to be known as ClimateGate, which was and is an international scientific fraud, the worst any of us have seen in our cumulative 223 years of APS membership. For those who have missed the news we recommend the excellent summary article by Richard Lindzen in the November 30 edition of the Wall Street journal, entitled “The Climate Science isn’t Settled,” for a balanced account of the situation. It was written by a scientist of unquestioned authority and integrity. A copy can be found among the items at http://tinyurl.com/lg266u, and a visit to http://www.ClimateDepot.com can fill in the details of the scandal, while adding spice.
What has this to do with APS? In 2007 the APS Council adopted a Statement on global warming site mentioned above) that was based largely on the scientific work that is now revealed to have been corrupted. (The principals in this escapade have not denied what they did, but have sought to dismiss it by saying that it is normal practice among scientists. You know and we know that that is simply untrue. Physicists are not expected to cheat.)
We have asked the APS management to put the 2007 Statement on ice until the extent to which it is tainted can be determined, but that has not been done. We have also asked that the membership be consulted on this point, but that too has not been done.
None of us would use corrupted science in our own work, nor would we sign off on a thesis by a student who did so. This is not only a matter of science, it is a matter of integrity, and the integrity of the APS is now at stake. That is why we are taking the unusual step of communicating directly with at least a fraction of the membership.
If you believe that the APS should withdraw a Policy Statement that is based on admittedly corrupted science, and should then undertake to clarify the real state of the art in the best tradition of a learned society, please send a note to the incoming President of the APS firstname.lastname@example.org, with the single word YES in the subject line. That will make it easier for him to count.
Bob Austin, Professor of Physics, Princeton
Hal Lewis, emeritus Professor of Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara
Will Happer, Professor Physics, Princeton
Larry Gould, Professor of Physics, Hartford
Roger Cohen, former Manager, Strategic Planning, ExxonMobil.
The barrage continues. Dr. Richard Lindzen, a Professor of Meteorology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a Member, Annapolis Center for Science and Economic Advisory Council; Contributing Expert, Cato Institute; and Contributing Expert to the George C. Marshall Institute and a member of the National Academy of Sciences has repeatedly spoken out against the purveyors of ClimateGate. Here are several of Dr. Lindzen’s prominent quotes on ClimateGate:
1 December, 2004
“It doesn’t even matter whether recent global mean temperatures are ‘record breakers’ or even whether current temperatures are ‘unprecedented.’ These are simply red herrings designed to obfuscate the fact that the change over the past century has been small. The fact that such claims are misleading or even false simply provides a temptation to discuss them and implicitly to attach importance to them. Remember, we are talking about tenths of a degree and all of you know intuitively that that isn’t very much.”
Source: “Alarm- Where Does It Come From?“, George C. Marshall Institute Website
12 April, 2006
“Alarm rather than genuine scientific curiosity, it appears, is essential to maintaining funding. And only the most senior scientists today can stand up against this alarmist gale, and defy the iron triangle of climate scientists, advocates and policymakers.”
Source: Lindzen op-ed, Wall Street Journal, 4/12/06]
21 April, 2007
Q: “On a recent Grade 7 test my daughter was asked something to the effect of, “How are you going to educate your parents about global warming?”
Lindzen: “I know. It’s straight out of Hitlerjugend.”
Source: “Relax, The Planet is Fine“, National Post (Canada), April 21, 2007
Pandora’s box has now been opened, as far as Al Gore is concerned. The science is indeed settled. ClimateGate is a scam. Instead of more studies on global warming, it is incumbent on governments far and wide, local and national, to open criminal investigations into the activities of those individuals responsible for perpetrating this globally-based scam.
Cap-and-Trade should also die a quick death. However, fully expect Barack Obama to continue to push for this ill-advised legislation. His concern is not scientific in nature. It is about politics and political control. Obama’s agenda includes Cap-and-Trade and the implementation of it through his Chicago Carbon Exchange. However, since the U.S. Senate is expected to become more conservative after the 2010 midterm elections, Obama’s window of opportunity is rapidly dwindling. It may well be that the only chance Cap-and-Trade has is if it is pushed through the Senate during the lame-duck session. But even that is not guaranteed – especially after the news of Dr. Lewis’ resignation sinks in. Don’t underestimate the influence of Dr. Lewis’ resignation letter. It puts every member of the Senate, Republican or Democrat, on notice that they will be voting in favor of a criminal scam if they vote Yes. It literally puts those who vote “Yes” on record as an accessory to a crime. Dr. Lewis has done something for which the peoples of the world now owe him a favor. Thanks to Dr. Lewis, the scamsters have seen a shot across the bow. The next step is to sink that ship once and for all.
Harold “Hal” Lewis Biography
Harold Lewis is Emeritus Professor of Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, former Chairman; Former member Defense Science Board, chmn of Technology panel; Chairman DSB study on Nuclear Winter; Former member Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards; Former member, President’s Nuclear Safety Oversight Committee; Chairman APS study on Nuclear Reactor Safety Chairman Risk Assessment Review Group; Co-founder and former Chairman of JASON; Former member USAF Scientific Advisory Board; Served in US Navy in WW II; books: Technological Risk (about, surprise, technological risk) and Why Flip a Coin (about decision making)